Where have all the Statesman and Stateswomen gone

Pete:

I’ve only been her 30 years, so I haven’t worked the place out yet : )

Some thoughts for you:
The prevailing strain of political philosophy in the U.S. remains individualism. The prevailing strain in Europe is viewed from here as collectivism.
Americans of every political stripe have a deep distrust of and contempt for government, especially big government. This antipathy goes much deeper than anywhere else I know.
Decades ago, powerful blocs successfully argued that health care is the epitome of big govt, and that only you should make decisions on your own health care – even though we know we spend more and get worse results than everyone else.
These legal things make change challenging: the Electoral College, elections run by the individual states, the separation of powers, the system of checks and balances, billions in donations.
Then there are the illegal things, such as: gerrymandered districts, voter suppression and rampant corruption.
It’s a huge country, so everything I’ve said is a massive generalization. Many millions here are one or more of these: collectivist, pro single-payer health care, idealistic, believers in comprehensive electoral reform.

Having said all that, the country is strong, robust, dynamic and innovative enough to overcome most challenges eventually.

2 Likes

Sums it up. Good talker, nice smile, but her leadership on Governace is lacking and our Governemnt is rapidly descending into a train wreck after 9 years of stability. She is more akin to a smiling assasin.

1 Like

I’m sure you’re right and I do like Americans (well most) and no one can doubt that they are strong and robust, however I can’t see why we can’t be smart enough incorporate both systems. it seems that it’s either black or white, left or right. There’s no middle or common ground.

I love my freedom, and like most would fight to defend it but as populations continue to expand unfortunately some “liberties” may suffer.

And I wouldn’t worry to much about generalization, probably this site a most others I sure that 90% of opinions are based on that principal and 5% of the rest on BS.

Thank you for your input.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.