Which cart for an ARO - Phonosophie no3 with prefix

Thanks a lot - will this work even at the end of a record?

With a slight adjustment it will.

2 Likes

i have a Lyra Kelso Sl which has an Output voltage: 0.25mV@5cm/sec.im using a prefix K powered by a supercap, this combo is perfect for me. Volume control has plenty of head room, i find it far better than CD input volume. it can be played pretty much anywhere on the volume dial and have no distortion whatsoever, other than my bleeding ears.

2 Likes

It’s another advantage with low output,the volume potentiometer work better when turned up a bit .
The Linn Troika output is about 0,2…

1 Like

With 552 this can be done so good and fine tuned. 52 was much more tricky. :blush:

1 Like

Yes I know,I have had a Nac 552, but even so the volume potentiometer sounds better when turned up.

2 Likes

Still not fully decided on a cart yet. But can’t get my eyes off the Hana.
Aro is in pieces on a sheet of paper at my cupboard and waiting…
DV or Hana … so much can’t go wrong.

1 Like

I have tried many cartreidges on my P3 but by far the best one was Linn Akiva! I find the P3 a wee bit more laid back than say LP12 so spunky Akiva worked fine for my taste. Both Lyra Kleos and Dynavector XX2 lacked a bit of alacrity compared to the Akiva. They just weren’t groovy!
DSCN2441
DSCN2443
DSCN2442

Pity that Akiva is no longer made but I would try Krystal or Kendo on it for sure.
One cart I did not try was Troika. It can be had from Goldring. They do not stock it all the time but some times they sell refurbs.
It’s happily singing on my Sondek currently but I never tried it on the P3.

4 Likes

Agree,many cartridges lack in the groove department compared to Linn Akiva and Troika.

1 Like

Agree :+1:

1 Like

The Akiva was a benchmark for me, the first cartridge I was ever fully satisfied with. I’ve been happy with the Kandid (I’m on my second), but I can’t say I found it night-and-day better.

I’m very curious about both Kendo and Ekstatik, particularly as they’re the first non-Lyra Linn MCs since the Troika. I don’t think I’ve ever heard an EMT-built cartridge.

1 Like