Which cart for an ARO - Phonosophie no3 with prefix

I stuck with my Prefix for a long time after the Superline was released. I feared I might find it to be too cerebral, but once I bit the bullet and tried it out over an extended period I found it to be even more engaging than even the Prefix and an absolute rhythm monster. I still have the Prefix but its now on a secondary deck - still wonderful, but no match for the Superline.

4 Likes

With half an eye I am looking for the superline again :blush:

1 Like

Me too. I have stuck with the prefix for the same reasons, but half an eye out for a Superline!

You can play around with the sound of a Superline hugely. If I switch between say the standard Naim loadings plugs like the 560R and the Airpug 576R the change is quite dramatic. 560 is typicaly a bit rough and raw with boogie and the 576 Airplug is much more sophisticated and grown up. That’s the great thing about the Superline.

4 Likes

If the EMT based/built Linn cartridges (Kendo and Ekstatik) share some of the EMT house sound, they should boogie a lot. Isn’t there a Linn dealer in Hamburg who has one of them mounted on a LP12?
On the other hand, if your brain is wired similar to mine, just keep the Benz for the foreseeable future until you can get a Troika, either already rebuilt or to have it rebuilt. No what if this way.

1 Like

Kendo is on my list - but the stylus is so much pronounced… :flushed:
For kendo price I think the Hana red is a better companion.
Currently I tend towards dv xx2a … or hana red :rofl:

Theresia a Linn dealer in Kiel who can do it - but the sound is always very different with non naim electronics

I feel the Dynavector would appeal to you. It’s well balanced, nice tones, not upfront. A bit Sygma .

1 Like

Upfront is fine but when it comes with a lot edges it is bad. Sigma is not held back …
Dynavector is better in wheight and Hana in output voltage (possible hum when volume needs to pulled up more)

1 Like

Has anyone an idea how much louder I have to go in the pre, when going from 0,4mv output to 0,28mv output.
Is it plus one quarter?

3dB voltage gain/loss - in either direction.

(you said from 0.4 to 0.28 - which is a decrease…?)

Not sure if that helps, but thats an answer…

A voltage gain of 2 is 6dB.

1 Like

Sorry - but what does it mean on the volume knob? :blush:
I have to turn more up, as it outputs less - but how much?

Can you confirm (please) - are you going to or from 0.4mV…?

Are you increasing or decreasing the mV…?

I have answered your question… The problem is you may not understand the answer… :crazy_face:

From 0,4mv to 0,28mv!
Decreasing

Ok, so that’s a decrease in mV, so doing nothing you get a 3dB drop. Which isn’t that much , I think…

Restoring volume probably won’t require very much. Probably…

1 Like

I changed between 522 N boards and 523 E boards. Using a DV10X.

522 N - 2mV; 523 E - 400 µV

Thats a voltage gain change of 5 - which is 14dB. This resulted in a much lower setting on the Volume control on my 82 - maybe 20 degrees or so. Meaning the Phono & CD levels were much more similar.

Better…!!

1 Like

hmmm
2 weeks from now I can bring my TT in for Aro installation - but still not decided on the cart yet.
Difficult…

• DV XX2a → better price, lighter but 0,28 mv… So I need to pull up the volume up more and the difference in volume to streaming getting bigger. Do not like that
  • Hana Red Unami → more expensive, a bit heavier (10,5) but still in range of normal counterweight.

I am complete new in manual lift routine and … would I like to test it with an 3,6k cart???

If it’s any consolation I’ve had my Aro about 30 years and I’ve not destroyed a cartridge yet. The trick is to rest your little finger on the plinth whilst queuing with thumb and forefinger. It becomes second nature after a few days and then you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about.

3 Likes

I Could be wrong, lower output from the cart 0,40mV :arrow_down: would mean you need more/higher gain/output from your phono stage which will bring more music to your system. Thing is you need a quality phono stage to do it successfully. The system sound level will stay about the same in your speakers as long as the whole chain is matched correctly.
Like i say i could be wrong but thats my take? @Richard.Dane

1 Like

The Prefix should still be OK with 0.28mV, though yes, you’ll need to turn up the volume a little bit more. A Superline has more gain here and is more suitable for very low output MCs.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard…
I need to turn it up a bit - that is what I thought.
But how much it might be its hard to tell.

Prefix is fine for me :blush:

1 Like