Which cart for an ARO - Phonosophie no3 with prefix

Hi
Tomorrow I will be proud owner of an ARO! Finally :heart_eyes:
I remember that there is some limitation with the ARO as the cart not be adjusted back and forth, hence there where some aro‘s where a drill job was done - bad. My future one has its original holes.

I currently use a Benz wood - love the warm sound. Runs perfectly with the prefix inside.
Would like to keep the phonosophie p3 as it is with prefix inside - with aro it is „Julian’s turntable“ (taken from som old review).

My Benz wood will have some overhang (coming out at the front)
Don’t know it this is a problem.
In some old pictures I saw that there was a plate (?) between cart and aro.
Any suggestions?
Perfect cart?
Linn troika… love to have a new one - but I ran short of my time travel capabilities

Thx for any suggestions
I have some time as the aro will be installed end of august.

3 Likes

Found some help …

More is appreciated

Benz wood
Hole to stylus = 1 cm

Dynavectots look fine but the output is less than 0,3 mv. My Benz is 0,4 mv. Dunno if this works with prefix S.
When I pull up the volume on phono there is a very slight hum in my system. Don’t know if this will get worse with lower output cart. Could also be - lower output same little hum later on volume knob :relieved:

Congratulations Drago. I got my Aro around 1993 I think. One of the best turntable upgrades I’ve ever made. It totally destroyed my Linn Ittok with ease. I’ve tried quite a few cartridges and find it remarkably tolerant despite the fact that many don’t apparently align properly. My list of cartridges tried is as follows: AT 95, Supex 900, the original Linn Asak, the Linn Troika, plus its predecessor, AT Art 1, AT 33EV and more recently a Krystal. The best for me was the Troika and the AT Art 1. The Art 1 was exceptional, the Troika was very romantic. My dealer’s personal turntable is a Phonosophie with Aro and a re-tipped Art 1.

3 Likes

Really :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
Than the phonosophie must be not that bad :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

But troika and art1 are vintage and not available anymore … :smirk:

I thought a lot what to do on vinyl side, but with phonosophie in Hamburg a few minutes away (they are still dedicated to their TT and offer full service) I have to try the last stage phonosophie TT with aro and eventually new cart

Ps: aro is from 1989 - one of the first :relieved:

2 Likes

Hi Drago,

used Troikas come up for sale. If. I remember things right, several members were pleased with rebuilts by Goldring.
Maybe this thread is of use: Troika anyone?

1 Like

Linn kandid might also be worth a look.
Like a warm sound more than an overly resolution based
But kandid with prefix s (470 ohm)?

I really hesitate … but not with aro itself.
Think I will look how it can be managed with the aro-matic, wich I liked a lot when I saw it - no catapult at all. But it is really tight inside the TT with prefix inside - they will have to look if it fits both.
There is a chance that there is no space for both.

Therefore … better installing my benz first and giving me the chance to get used to the human lift!

What is with tiger paw lift???

Can see the lift and add it to my cart on their side. Thought the products are not available anymore?

1 Like

Two choices: Dynavector XX2 or Ortofon SPU Royal N.

No lift on my Aro and never had an accident - touches wood quickly!

2 Likes

I’ve yet to try my Royal N on the Aro, the hole to stylus offset is somewhat longer than optimum at 11mm (from memory) but I can move the armboard a bit to compensate. The cartridge weight is a bit of a challenge but maybe the heavy counterweight is enough if you have one. The effective mass of an Aro a bit on the low side, I have an 7.5g brass plate from my Schröder I can up that with and hopefully my Tigerpaw skale with the two extra plates will be enough.
Naim have my superline at the moment so I can’t play with the Aro for now.

On the Schröder Reference the Royal N was outstanding for everything except the heavier rock, which it over civilised Sabbath yes, Metallica no. It’s the second best I’ve tried on the Korf, where it will play Metallica with enough energy, but behind the SPU Century, I prefer it to my Proteus modified with a Gyger S, there’s just something about the two SPUs I’ve used so far that draws me in more than any other cartridge I’ve owned, which admittedly is no more than a dozen.

My now retired dealer used to swear by the Ortofon Cadenza bronze on his Aro which was fitted to a Linn, same stylus profile as the Royal N but higher compliance, I’ve not tried one myself.

Thanks. My SPU was fitted when I went to Naim and they scraped a bit of paint off the underside of the headshell to ensure good earthing. I had a Linn at the time, and I thought the sound was magnificent! I did not need to adjust the geometry, but I did use the heavy counterweight. I would best describe the sound as “deep & chunky” but with a sweet top end, great timing. Other cartridges I find are too analytical. I really like the Dynavector XX2, the first one we had for 10 years and now the second only 25 hours playing time. It plays everything in an even handed way again with great PRAT.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I have a Phonosophie and the arm rest is not on the bouncy arm board but on the plinth part, so you have a stable base to cue from. Cueing the Aro on Linn is a bit more wobblier.

1 Like

6 Likes

Assume that a DV XX-2 Mk2…?

(focus not great in pics above…)

1 Like

Yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also recommend Dynavector with ARO. Some years ago I used an XX-2 MKII, but just a few weeks ago I took my Xerxes 10/ARO deck out of storage and installed the new XX-2A. Wow, an impressive cartridge! In my opinion a major uplift in dynamics and musical expression. As noted above, the older XX2 was very even-handed, but maybe a bit too polite.

3 Likes

This has less than 0,3 mV output - don’t know if this will be good with my slight hum on phono… edit: checked again - nearly disappeared with 552

The XX2A looks very good!
Will it work with prefix 470ohm - think so!

1 Like

I’ve had two XX-2 Mk 2s used with the Aro and have been very happy with them. More than likely that I’ll go for a third too.

Lyra Delos is wonderful. I had it on SMEV and Rega RB3000.