Which cartridge alignment do you use?

That’s not really for alignment though, which is what this topic is about.

In the case of your Apheta 2 on a Rega arm, alignment is not even something people look at often due to the 3-point mount. That said, if you actually check it, there’s enough play in the bolt holes that it’s worth ensuring everything is centred correctly. This Also goes for the Aro and Linn tonearms when using 3-point mount cartridges.

There is another type that you rarely should ever do, Beer-Wald. Usually guarantees cursing, tears, more cursing, and broken bits. I have no idea how I would know this… :slightly_smiling_face:

I like Beer-Wald. Your dealer fits the cartridge, you drink the Beer.

1 Like

That would be the better version no doubt!

Ha, the reason I decided not to try my new protractor tonight. Although… It could be a means to get my stylus upgraded.

No honey, it’s the same, the new ones just come in a different colour.

1 Like

Hey, things happen, right? Oopsie…well, guess I best get that fixed, no music until then!

I have both Feickert and Clearaudio alignment gauges. I have long ago settled on the Clearaudio IEC R=60.325 alignment, which is essentially Löfgren B. For the combination of older classical records and newer 45 RPM reissues this has been the most satisfying compromise to me. I do get some inner groove distortion on ocassion. I suppose if I had a dedicated arm for classical music I would consider a Stephenson alignment, which is what Rega use.

Hmm, I thought I read that Clearaudio has its own. If indeed Lofgren B it’s another mistake in the poll

Agreed the oscilloscope is for fine tuning only

But it does ensure you get the best out of whatever alignment method you chose…and does enable you to minimise inner grove distortion
I have used this very successfully with my previous Aro setup …intact better than the Rega .,… because the Aro is more adjustable in some ways
Inner grove ( and in fact any grove) distortion is highlighted very well…and the difference alignment and tracking weight make are also shown clearly

I was considering buying one of these for setting up my Magician arm.

There’s a guy from Poland on eboy selling over 250 Alignment Protractors.

Can the distortion levels be believed. Doesn’t distortion vary depending on cartridge?

I think distortion can just be calculated.
The Schon alignment template is a good read:

Only the last two pages actually explain how to use his protractor, the first four just explain the theory and its history.

The Clearaudio gauge has 4 alignment options: IEC r=60.325, plus three of their own: r=65, r=70 and r=75.

Here’s an article/review on it. https://www.vinylengine.com/clearaudio-alignment-tool.shtml
Also of interest: https://www.analogplanet.com/content/uni-din-versus-löfgren-b-just-clarify

I could also do with some advice please. Changing Elys 2 on my Rega RP3 to Ortofon Blue, whats best alignment tool.
Many thanks.

The Dr. Feichert alignment tool is very good and not hard to use. It also provides options for using Stevenson, Baerwald, or Löfgren alignments. It’s a very solid choice.

1 Like

I really like the Schon template.

1 Like

Thanks guys!

Hi Richard,

just curious which forum rule my link broke? Looking through them I don’t understand why a link to a manual was removed. Please educate me so I can prevent in the future.

Links are heavily moderated here in the Hifi corner, especially where deemed to be commercial or advertising. Links to pages on the Schon website would not be permitted under forum rules.

I’m aware of those rules, but this was not to anything commercial, just a pdf of the manual. Not even on the Schon website.

Are manuals deemed commercial? Otherwise, I must admit, I’m none the wiser. Sorry.

It appeared to be a page from the company website. I’m strict on this and if in any doubt, I will remove as matter of course.