Which DIN to RCA

I told the Naim dealer that the DIN output from the NDX 2 has to go to the RCA inputs on my McIntosh pre-amp. Which is what he is going to supply. I assume this set up will be called DIN to RCA or is it nomenclature Input-Output.? If it is Input-Output then it would be RCA to Din. Else, the other way around. I am very confused. Appreciate if someone can clarify. Thanks

For a Chord DAVE to NAC52 connection, i.e. RCA to DIN, I tried Flashback’s poshest cable. Performance was lacklustre, to be kind.

An old Chord Chrysalis RCA to DIN cable that we had lying around was much more musical.

The AR Sound Lunar is considerably more expensive and correspondingly better, so long as care is taken to really tighten up the WBT RCA connector collars (otherwise music sounds flat & lifeless)

The Chord Sarum is eye wateringly expensive at about £2k in the UK but is the best we have heard. I just choked at the price, so use AR Sound Lunar.

Naim’s Hi-line is another option, so long as care is taken with the DIN connector, which is delicate.

Hope this helps, BF

You need the DIN(source) to RCA(amp), or a RCA to RCA will also work from the NDX2, but the DIN is preferred.

1 Like

FB made me a DIN to BNC at Premiere level for my use case - Stageline to 82 (input 1 with 526 cards).
Does the job, for around forty quid.

And they like cats!

2 Likes

Bhupi, with an NDX2 and a Macintosh pre-amp, you’ll need a DIN to RCA, DIN for the NDX2 and RCA for the McIntosh.

Yes, I thought so too.

Thanks a lot

Nobody did mention Tellurium interconnects. Seems they do DIN-RCA-DIN. Not good ? Speaker cables appreciated by some people.

Richard, what I uderstood from your first message is Naim Lavender is much the same as Chord Chrysalis ? If yes, how you compare them to Chord Cobra II (not produces anymore) ?

In the context of a Naim system I much prefer late Chrysalis. With Cobra you seem to lose a certain degree of swing and “bite” that’s important.

1 Like

Richard, thank you ! Just looked at Chord web, they do not have Chrysalis, is it also out of production ? If yes, any view on condender from current range ?

Yes, AFAIK it’s now out of production. Naim continue to offer the lavender/grey i/c though.

I think that Chord offer The Crimson as the replacement. It’s OK, but for to my ears it lacks something with Naim and I much prefer late Chrysalis.

1 Like

They do indeed. Very good service, nice people to deal , good value, good products and they like cats.

What else is there to say?

I can remcommend the True Signal Audio Ultimate DIN to RCA cable, from my NDS to Sim Audio Moon preamp input.
It gave better clarity than a HiLine I was using beforehand, plus has an equivalent retail price. I was lucky that the demo cable I was sent (an ex-show model) was available for a favourable deal.:smiley:

For other interconnects, I use Harmonic Technologies Magic (not the latest models, but those before Jim Wang retired). He also built me a custom Silver phono cable with an SME plug and Furutech phonos, which bettered the Hovland Music Groove cable.

Hi, I received the Naim Hi-line DIN to RCA yesterday. The improvement over the RCA to RCA interconnect is unbelievable. Sound has just opened up. Unbelievable. I thought RCA to RCA was pretty good but the DIN interconnect takes it to another level. Well worth every penny. Thanks a lot for recommending.

5 Likes

How relevant would you say the “all else being equal” is? As choices are limited, even because of the size of the cable wher DIN is concerned. would a better quality RCA->RCA be preferable over DIN->RCA in your opiniotn, or would the latter always be preferable? (assuming at least decent quality of course)

Impossible to say for certain without testing all options, but within the context of Naim, I would definitely try to avoid using RCA Phono if possible where DIN is also available, as DIN is clearly superior.

1 Like

Hmm, interesting. While I see how the plug itself is superior, my gut feeling is that better shielding, capacitance etc. would have more of an audible effect, if any. But as you say, one would have to test to be certain. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Hello Richard,
What is the current replacement from Chord of the Naïm interconnect signal lead, the Clearway maybe?
And do you suggest hi-line rca-din as well in case of Naïm amplifier only ?
Regards
David

Richard, I have a Super Lumina DIN/RCA that’s currently idle (my Hiline DIN/DIN is on the CD2) - forgive my question as it may be just obvious: can Naim convert the RCA end to DIN?

I ask because I get a hum on the CD if I use the RCA so I’d like to go head to head with the Hiline.

I’m not sure what Chord would recommend as a replacement for the Naim interconnect.

The Hi-line I know works well between a digital source and Naim pre-amp. In the case of a Non-Naim digital source, an RCA-DIN Hi-line works well; I have used one with my Chord Hugo, as do one or two other members on here, IIRC.

1 Like

Stevie, I don’t know. I know that the Hi-line can’t be converted so probably something best asked of Naim directly. Either way, it shouldn’t be too difficult to work out a trade or sell the RCA-DIN and buy the DIN-DIN, and if you can find the latter secondhand, there may even be no monetary loss.