Which Kind of Blue?

But we’ve read your English.

:shushing_face:

1 Like

Embarrassing…

Especially from someone with two English A levels!

1 Like

AUHQR_0004__148512__04062021074456-830

This is the best one I have heard to date.
Personally Mofi pressings always wound wanting to my ears.

3 Likes

Has anyone listened to the High Definition Tape Transfer’s HDTT from a 15 inch tape to DSD 256? It is here [High Definition Tape Transfers] . It also includes the tracks that were recorded at the wrong speed corrected but in PCM 24/352.8. As DSD cannot be edited the corrected tracks were converted to PCM for editing purposes - to correct the speed. There is a free 24/96 sample download. I find it all very musical but not hifi in sound.

1 Like

Is there a better sounding download or CD version than this one?

I have the HDTT files but have not listened to them intently yet. The 2002 US SACD is a fav. It has an an inviting warmth and ‘flow’. It is SACD only. I can rip it and compare at some point and also to the MoFi current version.

Columbia CS 64935, SACD only, Stereo, Multichannel- US, 2002

The current hi-res digital downloads offered by Sony are masterfully done and are likely more transparent to the source tape. They may not be as ‘warm’ as the above however if you like that sort of sound.

1 Like

Mmhh… I thought I did a quick comparison and posted comments on this forum before: sure enough I found them in this 2022 thread

1 Like

Mmhh… and what where your findings?

if addressed to me, I would say my hearing was probably better in 2022 :- copied & pasted here (from the linked thread):

I listened to the HDDT dsf files. Sound is excellent. It is very similar to the Sony single layer SACD but perhaps a bit rounded off on the sharp transients and may have a slightly warmer fuller tone with good low level detail. The Sony may sound a tad thin and sharp in comparison but its timing is impeccable and may be a tiny fraction better in that ‘grab your attention’ arena. They are both great!

ATB
B.

again:
Equipment in the playback chain come into play here, more than the media differences perhaps. When I play the SACD in the Sony ES player it sounds even better than the Sony dsf files (from Acoustic Sounds) played through the NAIM DAC V1. So, it is a tough question to answer. You cannot go wrong with either one, is all I can say!

2 Likes

The HDTT and the earliest CDs may be the only digital versions that use the original mix of the LP.

2 Likes

Agreed the the mode of playback plays a huge part, KOB is an incredible set of songs Miles brought together the very best musicians and with only a skeletal framework produced the best selling Jazz LP of all time.

1 Like

Thank you for this tip @melomane100! This Kind of Blue indeed sounds outstanding!

I bought recently a new LP of Miles Davis ‘Kind Of Blue’ from Amazon. The record is on a label that I have never come across before - DOL. (I had expected to see Columbia/Sony Music.)

The blurb on the back cover is:

‘HQ Virgin Vinyl 180gr Manufactured in the EU Mechanical Rights Licensed by MCPS’

I suppose that this is because the copyright protection has lapsed. If so, I expect the same to start happening to Beatles records soon.

DOL are Russian bootlegs, sourced in all likelihood from a CD. They were all over record stores like a rash as were other dubious labels (Waxtime is one iirc).

Avoid. If you want a CD, buy a CD.

Thought you bought the blue vinyl copy of KOB recently, which I thought was Sony/UME…why buy DOL?

You’re absolutely right, Stevie, I had forgotten buying that when I bought the DOL copy - what a total pillock!

At least I know now which one to play on the LP12, and which can go to the charity shop!

Return it to Amazon if you are within the time limit Graham.

Thanks for the suggestion, Neil, but I have opened the cellophane wrapper. I’ll donate the DOL record to one of the local charity shops. It saves on the postage cost, and it’ll serve as a reminder to engage the brain when buying records!

1 Like

I’m jinxed at buying this album I’ve got the Columbia Label CD that’s fine but really LP is the preference I’ve bought 6 copies from all different places and they are either too warped or they’ve sent the wrong thing.
I inherited a DOL label one as was not advertised as such and they told me to keep it.
Then my Wife Bless her bought me a copy when Deagostini was doing the jazz series magazine.
Both Dol and the magazine are flat but I really wanted a Columbia label one.
I’ve got a mate local with a really old copy but it sounds like it’s been recorded at the wrong speed. :thinking: :face_exhaling:

There was an issue with tape speed, ran too slowly on a fair few recordings iirc, but I don’t know much more than that. Thought newer releases had fixed that, but not sure. I don’t play KOB much so I’ve not really followed the story.

1 Like

@steviebee
Cheers for that yes the slow speed was my mates very old copy.
Just trying to get a decent flat one now. :roll_eyes:
I cracked up laughing once when someone said why didn’t they credit the Cello player. :rofl:

1 Like