Which NAPSC?

Thanks. I’ll check. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Yes, my NAPSC (Mk1) went in with my 82, to Class A, for service.
Both came out… better… :thinking:

Still a bit puzzled. On their website, Class A only mentions the NAPSC with the 82. Not with the 282 and also not under the PSUs listed.

Could it have something to do with the old and new(er) NAPSC i.e. 1 and 2?

I think you are reading to much into what Class A say… :thinking:

From memory, there is only one cap inside a napsc anyway. I can’t see it makes a lot of difference whether it is serviced or not (unless it had failed open).
This thing is not part of the audio circuit. Not sure how an unservived one could affect the audio.
However when it’s time for my 282 to head north the napsc will be going too.

1 Like

That… is the correct answer… :grin:

Correct, it’s very simple. Can’t be too difficult nor expensive to swap that cap.

It’s not part of the audio circuit but yet there are some pretty bold statements/experiences here about the effects of a better power cord. Weird thing this… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Actually there are three capacitors, and the 2 you haven’t spotted are probably more critical than the one you have noticed :wink:

1 Like

What would be the effect of these other 2 capacitors degrading, and not getting changed at service?

If a NAPSC gets serviced, all the Caps would get changed, Shirley…?

I guess there are a couple of small caps that are not clearly visible, on the little PCB…?
(I think they are right under the Mains Lead…?)

Yes, the blue ones. I saw them too. :slight_smile:

The 2 little aluminium electrolytic cap’s (beneath the mains lead) are there to improve regulator performance and keep it stable. Interestingly in an (old school non DR) Hicap these are tantalum beads, which perform better but cost more. Perhaps Naim deemed it an unnecessary expense to use tant’s here or figured people might never consider getting their ageing NAPSC serviced so opted for the more robust plain vanilla cap’s instead. Whatever, I’m sure they get renewed during a service :+1:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.