Which replacement AV Receiver?

Ok, that is fair enough. For a home theater system, I prefer using a sound bar system with surround sound, dolby atmos, with the flexibility of Airplay or Chromcast sound input.

Let’s all just enjoy what we have. My Naim/Linn etc live in my study along with the AV system.

Our house has 5 bedrooms. One is for my wife and me, 2 are for visitors staying (my wife is not British by birth), one is a “junk room” now used for storing LPs, books, multiple guitars and accessories, my wife’s old 60s & 70s clothes (don’t know why she keeps them - she’s 76 now, and they wouldn’t fit her!). There’s even a bed-settee in their, which is ironic, because there’s no room to actually open it out.

Bedroom 5 is the smallest room, and is now my study/man cave. It’s where I spend a lot of my time.

Before I retired my main system was in the living room, and the arrangement was that on Sundays that room was mine and I could listen to my heart’s content. I usually left her there to watch her TV shows on her own - she’s heavily into “reality” shows and soaps, none of which interest me. So I used to retire to my study, where I had a TV, and smaller Naim AV system.

Then … retirement. She decided that the living room was her domain, so I gave most of my downstairs system to our younger son-in-law, and upgraded my stuff in the study gradually to its current state. Hence all the gear in there. This arrangement works well for us, and we do many things together, but watching TV is not one of them. (I did try to persuade her to let me have the living room, but she wasn’t having any of it, and I took the path of least resistance)

1 Like

Agree. We all have our own living/sharing arrangements. The HiFi comes second to marital bliss here, and I’m happy with that.

1 Like

Hi, to use eARC, you have to enable CEC…
Strange, but it’s like that.
BUT as CEC is something really NOT reliable, you better switch it “on” ONLY when you want to use eARC…
(I have a 740 4K)
I hope you have followed the X pattern for mike positioning, with the 2 front measurements lower than the ear level, and the back higher…

duf666

Dungassin

8h

Hi, to use eARC, you have to enable CEC…
Strange, but it’s like that.
BUT as CEC is something really NOT reliable, you better switch it “on” ONLY when you want to use eARC…
(I have a 740 4K)
I hope you have followed the X pattern for mike positioning, with the 2 front measurements lower than the ear level, and the back higher…

It’s a moot point now. I couldn’t get it to work, and couldn’t see any setting to turn on CEC (LG TV or Anthem?). So I’m having an Apple TV (ethernet version) delivered tomorrow. Until then I’m using my old Amazon Firestick, but that isn’t totally satisfactory - perhaps my wifi isn’t quite up to par, hence the decision to get something I can hardwire.

Thanks anyway. :+1:

You switch CEC on the Anthem, you’ll find it in the “Preferences” section:

Thanks. I’ll try it and see if it works. Still moot, though, in view of my recent purchase of the Apple TV

All of my Apple TV boxes have had an Ethernet port… :neutral_face:

I have had a 3rd gen, a 4th gen - and currently a 4K 1st gen (all preloved, bought on eBay).

For me, use over WiFi has been fine - but my router is in line of sight of the Apple TV and only about 3 metres away.

Simple. Works. Apple.

I think I’m losing my marbles …

Apple TV has been delivered, but I can’t install it because I’ve just discovered that I have no empty ports on my Netgear switch! So, hopefully one of those will arrive tomorrow now. I should have checked the switch first (sigh)

The wi-fi on Apple TV is surprisingly decent, if you have 5 GHz, near enough by. In a pinch only!

1 Like

Assuming the bandwidth of the wifi router itself is sufficient, 5Ghz band wifi is more than sufficient to stream uncompressed 4K MKV rips of Blu-Ray with fully Dolby True-HD 7.1 and ATMOS.

I use an nVidia Shield Pro and the LAN port on them doesn’t work right at all (because nVidia never provided a custom driver and Android natively was never designed with LAN in mind), but streaming my local library of discs is glitch free. So I expect your Apple TV will find that a wired LAN connection is totally superfluous to requirement.

Someone should really start a “Home Cinema Pics” thread.

feeling_zen

19h

Assuming the bandwidth of the wifi router itself is sufficient, 5Ghz band wifi is more than sufficient to stream uncompressed 4K MKV rips of Blu-Ray with fully Dolby True-HD 7.1 and ATMOS.

I use an nVidia Shield Pro and the LAN port on them doesn’t work right at all (because nVidia never provided a custom driver and Android natively was never designed with LAN in mind), but streaming my local library of discs is glitch free. So I expect your Apple TV will find that a wired LAN connection is totally superfluous to requirement.

Someone should really start a “Home Cinema Pics” thread.

Our wifi is not that great. The AV/Hifi is upstairs and we have a “satellite” wifi disc (BT) in the adjoining room. I set it up because the signal from the main BT router is too weak for upstairs use. However, the house is fully wired with Cat6 cable etc.

I am currently using my old Amazon Firestick which is wifi. When streaming films etc there are occasional buffering episodes, which never happens on the occasion when I have streamed (LAN connection) to my Mac. When loading things onto my PS5 or XBox X the speed is better with LAN than wifi.

Still awaiting delivery of the 16 port Netgear switch (coming tomorrow, apparently).

I have found the Apple TV to be near faultless over WiFi (*), but I am near line of sight to my router. Currently using a 4k 1st Gen version.

But… YMMV… :thinking:

(* - only 2.4GHz for me…)

Alas, the wifi in my study/bedroom is far from brilliant, hence the occasional dropout. Works well enough to let me use the iPad for the Naim App to select music to stream to my NDS.

Anyway. Everything is now up and running. The CEC tip for eARC worked well, but will really only be used for the rare occasions when I watch live TV. Had a mild hiccup with the new Netgear 16 port switch - turned out that I hadn’t pushed the mains plug fully into the socket! Apple TV device working very well.

1 Like

Normal… in my experience… :grinning:

IanRobertM

2h

Normal… in my experience… :grinning:

Hi, Ian. I think I know you? Burton Hospitals/police ring a bell? Would have emailed you direct, but didn’t know how to do this from the forum. (or even if it’s possible)

I thought all was sorted out, but there I was an hour or so ago happily playing an XBox game, when all the LAN connections to the new Netgear switch suddenly stopped working. Just finished sorting the problem out, and it seems that the 7m Cat6 cable from the twin output sockets in my study had “died”. Luckily I had a spare one in the loft, so back up and running again.

1 Like

No, sorry… :slightly_frowning_face:

I have no connection with Burton on Trent, hospitals or police (anywhere).

I am on my 3rd Apple TV - changes not due to any problems, just upgrading. All have been good. Any problem has been with my Internet being out or slow (rare).

Guessing from your Forum name, you may be an ex-hospital doctor…? My son is a med student…

IanRobertM

7h

No, sorry… :slightly_frowning_face:

I have no connection with Burton on Trent, hospitals or police (anywhere).

I am on my 3rd Apple TV - changes not due to any problems, just upgrading. All have been good. Any problem has been with my Internet being out or slow (rare).

Guessing from your Forum name, you may be an ex-hospital doctor…? My son is a med student…

Yup, I’m a retired Consultant Anaesthetist (special interests before retirement were Chronic Pain and Intensive Care). Thanks for the reply to my question. Dr.Ian Roberts was an interesting young man, and I believe that he reached Superintendent rank in the Police. The reason I thought that you might be him was that when Ian was one of our juniors, he owned a Naim amp.

You’ll note that I said all my problems with the Apple TV etc are OK. Alas, that’s not true. If the Apple TV is connected to the mains it keeps switching the internet (LAN) off, so at the moment I only plug it in when I want to use it. I’ve obviously b&ggered something up in the settings. I initially thought I’d solved it by substituting the input lead to the Netgear Switch, but have now reverted to my original cable (it’s buried in some trunking in my study, so actually getting a replacement lead in there would NOT be easy! If all else fails, I will do a factory reset of the Apple TV and start again (sigh). Now I’m just going to fire up the Anthem/TV/XBox X and return to my game …

Glad for you :grinning:

This is the way… :wink:

So… I guessed correctly…! Its a field that my Med Student son is considering, for his 5th year.