Which Speakers Cable?

Saw a ytube video recently exspousing the huge benefits of ultrasonic welding which is supposed to give no loss in power or signal quality so better than traditional welding, soldering. This may explain why your particular cable sounds so good and can beat much more expensive cables in SQ. Wish i had an ultrasonic welder, soldering gun.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure that Mark Grant uses Van Damme LC OFC for his cables which are cheaper direct from Van Damme especially if you can solder I use this cable in a second system and itā€™s excellent.

I bought a used Van Damme LC OFC cables from eBay a few years ago, and they did not sound right, so I put them in storage, I suspect that they are fake although they look well constructed to me.

Donā€™t bother about ultrasonic welding, any idea how many solder joints are in your Naim equipment?

1 Like

They do come in 6 different diameters or so, so if the gauge you have is too thin compared to the length you have/use that would be a problem with any cable.

Yes, you are correct if the cable length is 80 feet or more, but mine are only 12-foot long, which is nothing really.

@gaecam
Iā€™m sure youā€™ve already chosen a speaker cable at this point, I just wanted to say that my Naim gear is driving a fully refurbished pair of Kef R107s. Mine are the later first series, without the bi-amp binding posts, but the mid driver cone is made with the better material.

They sound fabulous, and Iā€™m sure yours do as well. The Naim preamps and amps make them sound far better than anything else I had driving them.
The Kube is out right now, being rebuilt, so the bass isnā€™t what it should be. The Kube also affects a bit of the other frequencies as well, so Iā€™ll be very glad to have it back. Some of the parts had a 60 day lead time due to Covid.
Oh also, after reading many posts on this forum, Iā€™ve decided that my next speaker cables will be the WitchHat Phantom. I had originally been set on Silnote because they make some excellent speaker cables and they sell direct, but the Phantoms appear to be one of the better choices as replacements for NAC A5s. Iā€™m using some very good spec, 9 awg, homemade cables at the mo, and they sound very good, but it can always sound better, yā€™know ā€¦

Anyway, nice to hear of a fellow Kef R107 owner.
Cheers.

Dave

That would depend on the gauge (it comes in 5 different ones) and your speakers impedance. That cable is available with 0.75mm2 conductors, I wouldnā€™t use that for 12ft. One size up, 1.50mm2, only if your speakers minimum impedance stays above 4 Ohm. Anything above that and I wouldnā€™t worry about it (unless you have something silly like 2ohm speakers).

I am sure that anyone with right mind would go for this? :slight_smile: This kind of cables should be used in the asylum houses?

I am one of the ones who had the 1st generation of NAC 52 and the 1st generation NAP 500. So I know what I want.

2 Likes

Anyone with lengths up to about a meter or so. Perhaps we should check in the ā€˜crammed (together) speakersā€™ thread :wink:

I just made a cardinal mistake this AM, I swapped the speaker cables while leaving the amp ā€œonā€. However, nothing dramatic happened, meaning there was not any ā€œpopā€ sound from speaker, the amp still sounds fine, and no fuse blown, maybe I turned off the pre-amp before changing the cables?

So what is actually going on in such a situation? Is the amp still OK? Although I have not seen or heard anything abnormally?

You can leave the amp on. Just be sure not to switch at the speaker end, where it would be easier to cross bananas that are still ā€˜liveā€™ so to speak, just do it at the the amp end, one at a time. Iā€™ve watched my dealer do it numerous times in a row when auditioning speakers. Much more important to switch off if changing DIN etc cables.

1 Like

That is good to know @charlesphoto, in fact I switched at the speakersā€™ ends first and then the amp.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.