Which turntable for beginner

Good turntable for beginner has always had Rega in there somewhere.

I started with an LP12/Ittok/Asak with 42/110 and Linn Kans. I bought a Philips CD100 in 1983 and stuck a 10k logpot between the output and the 42…wonderful sound…used the LP12 much less after that.

the planar 3 and Lp12 with Ittok, should not even be compared. The latter is a precision instrument and the former is a design built to a low price. It has always been this way and always will. No point considering anything unless it is in good working and serviced order. LP12 is by far the better TT. Rega is a great budget design, usually used as a stepping stone for those who cant afford the LP12.

1 Like

Well, I think that’s a bit unfair on the Planar 3. No, it wasn’t as good, but the fact it can even be mentioned in the same breath as the Sondek, which cost twice as much before you’d even added a tonearm, speaks volumes for its remarkable ability. It has always been a particularly well engineered turntable at a relatively affordable price. With the Planar 3 you had clever engineering, making the most of relatively simplicity, and the money went where it mattered - so you had a really good bearing, a stiff plinth, hard low resonance platter, and a good quality tonearm (superb in later RB300 versions). Compared to price rivals it was in a different league, and sounded it. In the pantheon of the greatest turntables of all time, the Rega Planar 3 definitely deserves its place as perhaps the best value serious performance turntable ever made.

17 Likes

If it were me, I would go for piano pink or violet-finished LP12 plinth, they just look gorgeous.

1 Like

Try to listen to the Rega P10/ Aphelion 2/ Aura and compare it to the twice more expensive Lp12 klimax. You can have a surprise.

1 Like

Mario…indeed, the LP12 and the P3 are not really competitors…but, as FR says, the higher and highest end of Rega’s range and the LP might well find themselves together on a reasonable shortlist. Both brands reproduce music superbly…their presentations might be different, so buyer decide. Of course, there are other brands who make excellent components. Long gone are the days when there was a general sense that the LP12 was the only TT worth considering.

3 Likes

That’s an unusual arm for a RP3?

It’s a mid to late '70s Planar 3, which was fitted as standard an arm like this (Rega R200). I believe it was made for them by Acos and had very fine bearings. Weakness was the belt for the magnetic bias, which would usually break after a number of decades and is a PITA to fix. Also the light alloy perforated headshell wasn’t ideal, so most would fit an ADC magnesium headshell, like you see on my deck here.

2 Likes

No beef with Rega what so ever, sorry if it came across that way, in fact, I really respect the company. I own their fabulous book, and am even contemplating a new planar 10, wonderful company and product. Unless I misunderstood the general flavour of the thread, it looked like people were again saying that the planar 3 is up there sound quality wise with an ittok/sondek, and it is simply is not. As a student the planar 3 was the turntable I purchased and once I could afford it, an LP12 ittok AT OC5 was the turntable that replaced the Rega for me. They were simply worlds apart. My experience of course but to me the difference was massive, no contest what so ever.

1 Like

I think the clue here is in the thread title, someone wanting to explore vinyl as a source without jumping down a rabbit hole of tweaks, tinkering and options abound.
I just helped a friend build a new system that came in under £2k, based oddly enough around a Rega P3, sounds great, looks the part and has the owner smiling, all good!

2 Likes

Totally agree, I think the OP is in Switzerland so that would make Clearaudio or Pro-ject more accessible. Have products from both (as well as Rega ) in my system

All three would be fine starters , I just think the LP12 whilst in keeping with the system of the OP would be poorer starting choice than a turntable from the three companies I have mentioned.

I don’t think anyone would question the capability of a Linn LP12 even a rough example will sound decent enough. I think if I was taking vinyl as a source seriously and had the funds I’d take a dip on one, but even then probably a new or nearly new one rather than a 30 year old Frankenstein example which unless you or someone you can trust can service it correctly it could be a demanding and stressful entry in to an otherwise enjoyable vinyl journey.
A preconfigured deck like a Rega/Clearaudio/Pro-Ject may not be the last word in refinement or sonic prowess but it will be easy to get going with and give a good feel of if vinyl is right for you, as it does require a bit of patience, additional time and care to get setup right and get the most from it, certainly relative to plugging in a streamer or even a cd player which is a lot less fuss but in a lot of ways less rewarding. The ceremony of vinyl is of course part of its appeal as well as its reproduction rewards!
I do hope @Whiskymat shares their journey and choices with us anyway as it all unfolds.

3 Likes

It should be noted that the OP’s profile suggests the source will be fed through a 252/300.

I was very happy with my RP3 for many years but I don’t think it would be a good choice with such high class amplification.

3 Likes

Depends on how much this particular vinyl “experiment” is able to be funded. You could spend £20k on a turntable and still not be happy after all!

The truth is a few of us would be happy forever with what we currently have, does not matter how much money we spend on a HIFI system.

I use a P6 with my 272/300 and it’s very happy indeed. As I’ve said above, that’s the one I’d go for.

1 Like

Yup, quite agree here, I’ve got one myself and don’t find it lacking.

Interesting beginner options maybe Mofi turntables UltraDeck and StudioDeck.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.