Which turntable for beginner

If you are prepared to concentrate and exercise some patience you can set up an LP 12 yourself.

I do accept that it is a bit of a learning curve, it’s a bit like building a bicycle wheel From scratch, but easier.

Yes here in the States you can buy a Rega with the cartridge already fitted. It’s a great solution for the “beginner” as the OP described himself. My P10 came direct from the distributor with the cartridge fitted and aligned.

IMHO not the best choice for a “beginner” as the OP describes himself.

I agree, I have already nailed my colours to the mast, Rega all the way!

Especially if you are in the UK

1 Like

There are solutions other than Rega that are great for “beginners” that also come ready-to-play without requiring cartridge alignment, tonearm removal and shimming, headshell shimming, etc.

1 Like

I too am considering getting back in to playing records after 30 odd years without a turntable. (Still got about 100 of my old records). The term “beginner”, which I suppose I am, has had me thinking about how to start as well. However, if I jumped straight in with an LP12, how long would I be a “beginner”? Sure, the learning curve may be steep, but not insurmountable. Would I, and the OP, ultimately be more satisfied jumping in the deep end and learning to swim as it were?

As I have always found rega turntables special, specially for their prices, I have never found rega carts particularly standing ahead of the crowd. Koetsu, yes, for its midrange, but not involvement however, VDH , yes, Lyra, yes.
Of course it’s a personal judgment and taste.

All depends on your ability on the mechanical side of your personal abilities. As a previous machinist, and engineer, it was a no brainer for me to ultimately buy an LP12 jig, and read the Swain tutorial/watch videos, and extend my hobby into building and tuning my own LP12.
As the previous poster stated, it’s like building a bicycle wheel. Spokes need proper placement, and then the tightening and trueing up of the rim so it spins straight in the horizontal and vertical planes is like getting the proper bounce out of the LP12.

I personally have enjoyed doing my own work.
I can take an entire table apart, swap out a plinth, and reassemble in a matter of hours, get the bounce set, let it sit overnight to settle in, and fine tune the bounce the next day. I have all the torque specs and tools to do it.

Is it going to sound as good as Mr Swains fettling(as they say), no, do I think I am close to the best sound I can get out of it, yes. I am not lucky enough to live close to Cymbiosis. But…Peter is very responsive by email to help.

Scott

…one point in particular that you make is very important (in my view, anyway). If I owned an LP12 (as I used to), I would not be happy unless it were running at it’s maximum potential. In fact, after servicing etc. at the dealership, I was always concerned that it might have 'gone off on the trip home (about 35 miles other units of length are available). I have still taken care since in transporting my non-suspended TTs in order to minimise the main bearings trauma in their housings. Maybe zOTT!

Funny you should mention wheel building! I am very comfortable stripping and building high spec mountain bikes including wheel building, truing and maintaining them. Given some of the trails I ride, my life depends on my fettling abilities.

An LP12 is beginning to sound like an interesting adventure, although I must confess, as a retired mental health nurse, I have no mechanical/engineering training. :thinking:

If you can tune your mountain bike, which was another of my hobbies in my younger days, you could definitely devote some time in learning, watching, and working on your own LP12. It’s the hobby Within the hobby or shall I say, the Work that’s done for a finished final product that you can sit back and enjoy knowing you put the time in.

If you do go this route, and have ANY questions, I will be glad to help. We can Skype, or share emails etc. I can walk you through anything for set up.

Scott

2 Likes

That’s a very kind offer Scott. If I go this route, I will no doubt be in touch! Thank you.

Just be aware, all the time you’re tinkering is time you aren’t listening!
Maybe get an LP12 to fiddle about with and a Rega to actually just turn on and listen to music :wink:
Win-Win sort of…

See, I said an LP12 would require, or bring out some tinkering. Rega for playing an LP12 for a never ending quest. And an expense be one, albeit good sounding.

I have both LP12 and a Planar 3. For someone dipping their toe in the water I would go for Rega. However, I would dispute the tinkering aspect attributed to the LP12. Upgrading is a choice. If the OP buys the friends deck, if it is packed with care, in a Linn box and it has had a recent service, then the process for setting up either deck at home is surely the same. Over 40 years my LP12 has been to three dealers and when I get it home the process is the same.
1, place the box on a firm surface at a reasonable level
2, open the box, remove the packing above the deck
3, take out any “loose” pieces, typically the counterweight
4, place the desk in position
5, lift the inner platter a little and remove the packing, lower the inner platter
6, it may take a while to settle, then fit the belt
7, gently fit the platter
8, fit the counterweight, balance, set tracking and bias, initially to recommended figures
9, plug in and play

Its been a long time since I packed, unpacked or set up a Rega out of the box. I am sure the process is essentially the same.
So “dismissing” the audiophile allegations, my basis for this is that I happily play 1950s 10 inch Winifred Atwell, Paul Robeson, Barber & Bilk, Lonnie Donegan on my LP12, it is simply a question of choice, budget and the decision about listening or upgrading. You only have to read the thread about Rega tweaks to suggest you can tinker with either brand.

1 Like

What is learning curve with LP12? It is just common sense really, as with anything else like you assemble your furniture from IKEA, nothing more!

Can you use the same size hammer for both?

2 Likes

Yes, of course :slight_smile:
I am just a Linn user, but I set up my own LP12, installing cartridge, tonearm, etc by myself out of the frustration of no reliable dealers within hundreds of miles of where I am and I think it sounds just fine.
As I said, it is just common sense, and if I can do it, anyone else can.

I think that one significant difference in owing these two is:

1. It is implicit in LP12 ownership that over the course of time Linn will release many retrofittabe, expensive and effective upgrades.
  2. Rega upgrades are likewise retrofittable and effective but very infrequent.
    One caveat is, of course, that there is no requirement to keep the TT in a state of its latest incarnation. People do fit non-Rega parts to their TTs…I am not able to comment on how effective these might be.

Good point, working on your own LP12, a lot of second hand items, that are an upgrade can be had for half price, less a long trip, shipping, and installed by one self. And, your are upgrading your “front end”, which is another discussion on another thread that is in flight right now I believe. A karousel installed at home is a lot less expensive than Many other optional upgrades, and the ROI is exponential in sound.

Scott