Which was the first album / CD you bought?

T Rex - The Slider £1.99

1 Like

On cassette, the year was 1992, a 9 year old mbear spent his pocket money at Sam Goody in Milton Keynes shopping Centre and rushed home to play it on his Aiwa portable tape player

4 Likes

The first album that I remember owning was Duane Eddy’s ‘Dance With The Guitar Man’, given to me by my parents when I was very young

DE

The first CD that I ever owned was Frank Zappa’s ‘Does Humor Belong In Music’, purchased when it was released by EMI

FZ

I bought a Philips CD104 so that I could play it!

2 Likes

IMG_0534
IMG_1150

On the same day in Harlequin Records in Harrow.

6 Likes

Used my pocket money to buy the soundtrack to The Black Hole which I thought was the coolest film ever! (1979)

2 Likes

This in 1991. On cassette. In Gothenburg.

3 Likes

The amazing Steve Hillage Green album 1978.

6 Likes

First up on my dansette with drawing pin stylus in 1970 in mono

5 Likes

Jethro Tull’s first album - This Was. Still my favourite Tull record and one I play often. Bought it again when it came out on CD and again when the Expanded version was released.

Jethro_Tull_-_This_Was_fron_cover

4 Likes

Bought from Boots The Chemist.

5 Likes

Hi @Alle71 , My memory isn’t that good to remember the exact set list, but Google shows the same songs in a slightly different order and Rock & Roll omitted.

This was the first album I ever owned (my Mum bought it for me, Xmas 1975):

But this was the first album I bought with my own money, in November 1976:

I still own both of these.

8 Likes

I didn’t buy a CD player until the end of 1991, but I actually bought my first CD six years previously:

Domo Arigato by the Durutti Column (Factory Records FACT 144) was the first non-classical album to be released as a CD only (although a vinyl version was released a number of years later)…

3 Likes

My first album was Ride A White Swan by T. Rex on the Music For Plealsure lable. I think I must have bought it in about 1972.

8 Likes

Not the most “street” but does contain an excellent rendition of “The Good the Bad and the Ugly” theme

5 Likes

The first CD I ever bought was this. From a curious shop owned or managed (I think) by a Chinese gentlemen very close to Cambridge circus in the west end of London. You went downstairs and there were CD players where you could listen to the limited range of CDs available, and from memory it was about £15 (which seemed a fortune at the time). I had a large vinyl collection but I was keen to expand into this new exciting format. I think there was mostly classical available on CD, maybe one or two Dire Straits albums. Maybe 1983, I was still a student. Still have the CD somewhere…

5 Likes

Around 1964, I think

IMG_4500

2 Likes

I had the Bond Album and always found it best to play Live and Let Die at 45rpm

1 Like

Not sure now, but the one that made a lasting impact was:

4 Likes

10 Likes