Which was the first album / CD you bought?

It was in the early sixties: Bach violin concertos a minor, E major and for two violins in d minor, played by Arthur Grumiaux. More or less at the same time PLAY BACH by Jacques Loussier and The Modern Jazz Quartett: Place Vendome. I like to listen to these records again and again.

1 Like

These were the first two, bought late 1978 and spring 1979.

… and this was the first vinyl (around 1980, did not have even a TT at the time yet)

Concerning CDs I have no recollection which was the first one. However, it must have been 1997 when I purchased my first CD player.

5 Likes

Snap! Good old Leonard Stokes, but that’s an unfounded roumour. :shushing_face:

3 Likes

I was sent to boarding school and at Christmas 1969 was given one of these portable record players!
my first lp wasn’t that adventurous but was what I was listening to. And I still have the record! But the record player has been gone for many years now.

My first CD was a measure of where my tastes had grown in twenty odd years! I still listen the S&G but also listened to this. The joy of CDs was that on classical pieces, it didn’t cut a track in half…Beethoven’s 9th with the last movement broken into two sides on several records I have, and also true of opera!
51TTpnn+88L.AC_UY436_QL65

4 Likes

Mum bought me this for my Birthday in 1975. It wasn’t the Sweet album I had asked for, but she only paid 25p for it. I don’t know why two bands shared an album between them.

A few months later and I had saved enough to buy this one (I never told Mum)…

It still gets an occasional spin even now.

7 Likes

Rickie Lee Jones debut album on vinyl. Nimbus cut bought mail order from Practical HiFi. I still have it.

2 Likes

IIRC my first single was the Beatles’ Get Back. I didn’t buy many singles, though, mostly LPs. Indeed I think that by late 60s the discerning music buyer did that, at least those in my school - singles were for the pop brigade (though of course there were exceptions).

1 Like

3 Likes

While not the first album I bought, the first albums bought for me were Return of the Jedi soundtrack and Muppets Take Manhatten soundtrack. I was about 5.

On vinyl for my Fisher Price record player. I still have the records.

1 Like

Whilst I had several Beatles and Beatles related albums, purchased by my parents, my first purchase lead me down a different road. Obviously the influence of hearing different sounds at school

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus.

My first cd purchase occurred minutes after I acquired my first cd player in November '85, plucked from the thirty or so cd’s on sale at the local WH Smiths !

Phil Collins - No Jacket Required.

5 Likes

First LP was Relics by Pink Floyd, first CD was Wonderful Life by Black.

1 Like

Blues Sonata - Charlie Byrd
Followed by: Strange Days -

The Doors

5 Likes

I recommend this site devoted to Alvin Lee and Ten Years After (all text in English) www.alvinlee.de
Thanks

Surely the “T” is the wrong way round.

You must have failed physics. It’s well known that the space-time curvature can cause letters to be flipped upside-down under extreme gravity.

Of course! Silly me.

I hitch hiked into Norwich to buy Disraeli Gears after hearing it at school. When I got to Andy’s Records (I think) they had sold out and it was suggested to me that I buy Best of Cream instead which I did. Never regretted it. I still have the LP although I have nothing to play it on. About two years ago at a Record Fair I saw a CD of Disraeli Gears which I duly purchased.

Steve

7 Likes

Not purchased personally but given to me by my brother for my 13th birthday, I was a huge fan, still have the copy in VG condition. I also saw him live at Kingston Granada in 1962, here’s the programme:

LITTLERCOVER001

LITTLERPROG002

3 Likes

Not only my first CD but the reason I bought my first CD player to play it on. I was still fighting the inevitable until its release.

2 Likes

Took me years to discover that album but what a wonderful record it is. One of the few albums I consider to be perfect.