Which whisky are you drinking and why someone else might enjoy it?

Lovely bottle. Although I don’t drink much Bourbon (these days, I kinda swam in it for several years!) I’ll look out for this. A fine sipper?

2 Likes

It is a fine sipper, definitely.

2 Likes

It’s not a bad whiskey, but note that the cork came out of the bottle safely and didn’t stay with half of it in the bottle…
This is my first and last experience with this brand, which also does not know how to treat its customers…

Merry Christmas :rofl:

3 Likes

I received some cool whisky themed decorations I ordered on Etsy. Two tin plaques, and wooden coasters. I really like the way they look.

5 Likes

Kev’s @TheKevster 's recommendation of the Dewar’s Japanese Smooth is almost done so I’ve cracked a gifted bottle of Old Pulteney, one that I’ve not tasted for a number of years.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Japanese Smooth and have ordered a few more as a sort of back up everyday+ whiskey.

9 Likes

The Japanese come up trumps again…

7 Likes

I tried both of these today. They are both delightful! The Aberlour tastes like pineapple and cherry, the Woodford reserve tastes like peaches in syrup. They are both sweet whiskys.

10 Likes

Cracked the new bottle and a little disappointed truth be told. Both Mrs Deeg and myself noted how the ‘Christmassy’ aromas dissipated after a few weeks on our previous bottle leaving a nice whisky but not a huge Christmas spice/cake aroma on the nose. The new bottle lacked the initial flavours, pleasant enough but not what we hoped for. Not sure if this was a one off release and we just have an old example or if its going to be an annual bottling… will need to research some more.

Try it again in a few days, you might like it better. I find the “neck pour” theory of whisky to be a valid one. I sometimes feel the first glass taken when the bottle is new, is not as good as the rest of the bottle a few days later.

4 Likes

A first for me from these distilleries

8 Likes

Mrs B was wandering around our local supermarket (Booths) before Christmas and saw the bottle on the right. A lowland malt. If it’s anything like the stuff on the left I’m in for a treat.

8 Likes

Interested to know what this one is like.

The 15 yr old is the classic Christmas one with big sherries flavours.

I have a bottle of the 25yr which I got in a Black Friday sale in 2021 for £100. It’s now £250 a bottle. For me it’s a bit too smooth.

21 may be the perfect balance.

This is a new one for me. I will be trying it this weekend.

9 Likes

I’m not allowed to drink any alcohol these days, so haven’t been through this thread, but…

… Anyone interested in proper Scotch should arrange a distillery visit to Easter Elches, the home of Macallan (where it is made and stored in huge vaults), then visit the hotel in Craigellachie nearby, which stocks many thousand malts behind the bar - quite a sight. The hotel claims to have more Scotch whiskies on sale than anywhere else in the world.

(I imagine that there are photos online.)

6 Likes

It’s absolutely tipping it down outside, so best crack open this Xmas pressie in readiness for the footy at 5.30…

9 Likes

Back after Christmas with another bottle of the Luscious Nectar from the Dufftown Distillery, their 12 year old Singleton which slips down far too easily.

9 Likes

First wee dram of 2023…

The Glen Scotia 25 we opened at Xmas…very nice indeed.

zzzzz

:tumbler_glass:

15 Likes

Christmas/New Year saw too much wine and a few other drinks to leave space for whisky - so today it was time for another malt. (To me the only whisky worth drinking - why bother with all the rough grain whiskies, or spend a fortune on the few that are less so when for less money you can buy a much smoother malt?) This one new to me, a Christmas pressie from one of my sons: Ledaig 12yr old, from Tobermory distillery on the Island of Mull, at a diluted 43%

It is many, many years since the one and only time I visited Mull, though I was nearby on the mainland last summer, and when I was there I was unaware of the distillery. (Note to self: include on next trip there.) My sons know I have a predilection towards highland and island malts, and this one doesn’t disappoint. Sweeter than some, peppery, peaty and smoky, but not as markedly as most Islay malts. Cask strength would be interesting. Maybe not as sophisticated as some malts, but very pleasant: my sons know how to spoil me! (But understandable as they both have a taste for malt!)

13 Likes

Another Waitrose offer. Not bad at all:

5 Likes