Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Ch Poujeaux 2009 Moulis
Lovely rich colour with some bricking. Very smooth and refined. Black cherries and cassis. Cigar box and leather. Long smooth finish.

15 Likes

From the south of France, Ch Capendu ‘La Comelle’ Corbieres 2019

A fruity blend of Carignan and Grenache Noir, with a pleasing long finish. Though they don’t mention oak barrels on the label, there must be some! My kind of wine.

8 Likes

Idak, this may be a little tricky to answer, but I am curious as to the term “bricking”. Any further expansion?

@JOF Yes indeed. It has a brownish rim around the edge of the wine when tilting the glass away from oneself. A sign of age. If the wine was say 40 years old the wine may look completely brown like a tawny port.

3 Likes

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. :+1:t3:

Probably pushing it a bit with this. My home brew is very nice but my family politely say it’s an “Acquired taste”. This is Pinot Grigio but will be swapping to Shiraz for the winter. Interestingly I had my first failed fermentation this year. Eventually worked out that the hot weather had killed the yeast. Apparently it dies at above 30C.

7 Likes

Something from the bottom shelve of my storage, cheap and cheerful. Hopefully should go well with tonight’s braised beef.

7 Likes

Wow, keep at at Paul.

I’ll bet there is a ready market for cheap home brew in Oslo among ex pats. I paid £12 for a pint of lager in Trondheim back in 2019. I bought two. Ouch!

1 Like

On the blackmarket, for sure.

Unfortunately, your juicy Wine will be sent back home at the border as Norway, Sweden and Finland operate a monopoly system of government run outlets.

The upsides are that taxes remain set at standard rates whatever the cost of the Wine, the general selection is of very good quality and the staff are obliged to undertake a simple but effective wine and beer education course. So if you are in need of something for a certain meal, you can usually get some very good advice.

I think its origins were religious related 100 years ago, but it has morphed into something more positive.

2 Likes

I am currently helping teach at ‘Beyond Extreme Wine’ a WSET Level 3 with-knobs-on in the bucolic surroundings of La Verrière / Chêne Bleu in the Vaucluse in the shadow of Mont Ventoux, among the vines, at harvest time. It’s really awful, as you can imagine.

Last night we drank these. Great vintages, both on song (both, truth be told, still too young - especially the Léoville), but both a reminder of how great good Bordeaux can be.

16 Likes

I thought this was an interesting article.

I have no idea why, but it caught me eye in the fortified wine section and was too cheap to pass by:

Screenshot 2022-09-13 at 18.10.26

Screenshot 2022-09-13 at 18.10.17

Suffice to say I should have chilled it but haven’t yet.

7 Likes

Heading off on a work trip for a few days tomorrow, so thought I’d share a bottle on a Tuesday eve with Mrs Bobby. Opened up into a much sharper and fruitier Chablis than I was expecting. Lots of citrus, even grapefruit. Very nice.

12 Likes

Correggia Arneis from Roero Piedmont 2019
Quite a fresh zingy wine tasting ofripe pears green melon and lemon. Mouthwatering . A good Sauvignon Blanc substitute.

7 Likes

Anything is a good substitute for Sauvignon Blanc, I know there’s good ones out there somewhere but I’m yet to find one (both NZ or Aus).

2 Likes

The best SB I have had was from Rutherglen by a Simao and Co.
Rugby should be a cracker tonight. Australia can smell blood I think.

God I hope so, I’ve had 20 years of torment from Kiwi friends.

I think it is more than compensated by the regular drubbings you hand out our cricketers!

If you can, try some German Pfalz ones, superb. And i know what you mean about the Oz and Kiwi ones, too over the top for me.

2 Likes