Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

We are having a couple of days away in the New Forest. The Gewürztraminer is not really my thing but I could tell from all its mango and lychee luciousness that it was the real deal.

The Yapp Bros house red from the Rhône very much more my thing but at 15.5%, senior management only. Rich, ripe fruit and big mouthfeel. Very enjoyable. With some Gorgonzola and oatcakes.

7 Likes

A local (Hunter region) Merlot hoping it goes well with tonight’s Italian.

6 Likes

This really is stunning and has gotten better since I last had one about a year ago. One of those where I wish I’d bought more than one case at the time - now only 2 bottles left! Everything you’d need any from a chianti, with lovely red fruits shining through. Tignanello (the big brother to this) is one of my favourites, but in terms of “bang for your buck” this really takes some beating.

8 Likes

Midlands Champagne Accademy on Wednesday evening at the rather nice Grand Hotel now fully restored - Tattinger president House and pass on to us (Bollinger) next year
sll showed really well 2007 Comtes was a treat

8 Likes

Ate this:

Drank these:

(My friends gave me the wine list, and their confidence.)

9 Likes

With Jotaro in Tokyo.

6 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

It has been a busy few days with two lunches at La Trompette in Chiswick and dinner at Chez Bruce in Wandsworth.

Just one wine over lunch on Thursday

A great Chenin from the Skurfberg that was drinking at its best. Then onto Chez Bruce in the evening for dinner and some magnificent food and these delicious wines.

Each wine seemed to be perfectly matched with the food. In my case, a pre-starter of vitello tonnato went extremely well with the Gratien and then a salmon tartare flavoured with smoked eel that was so beautiful with the Dagenau Pur Sang 2007. Then grouse plus pithivier were magnificent with the Ridge Monte Bello 2006 - an astonishing wine that would probably have gone on for another 20 years. Finally we took a Madeira off the list with a delicious crème brûlée.

Next days lunch included two amazing wines to start - the Tondonia Blanco and the Musar Blanc were outstanding and when poured almost indistinguishable in colour but very different on nose and palate. Then some lovely flights with the only wine seeming awkward being the Tiganello which might have been the company it kept or just a slightly dull bottle.

Now time to have a little rest I think.

11 Likes

V jealous - I’ve only had Ridge Monte Bello a couple of times and it is an astonishingly good wine

1 Like

Was the last of 2 bottles that Wine Society sold me on release. It was a steep £80 then but on balance well worth it. Definitely a 1st growth wuality

1 Like

Stocks are running low of this. Just love the smooth tannins with just a hint of fruit. I hope the duck won’t prove to heady for it.

10 Likes

Wow!!

Hunters Chardonnay 2020 Marlborough.
Quite fresh and delicious. Mighty toothsome at $16.

7 Likes

Hunters !!!

Takes me back IDAK

Haven’t had one of those in years !!

1 Like

‘Sherry style’ wine from north of Cordoba. Solera system, aged under flor, Airen, Palamino Fino, Pedro Ximenez grapes.

8 Likes

Santoccio Rosso 2014 made by Nicola Ferrari. He calls it a ‘Rosso Veronese’ but essentially it is an Amarone. Drunk with pappardelle and pork cheek/fennel ragu. Absolutely delicious

9 Likes

I think Hunters was quite fashionable on the 80s on the back of its sauvignon blanc. It’s to our benefit as their wines are excellent and good value. I also tried their SB and it was very good as well.

Cooked Cote du Boeuf this evening for the first time ever, washed down with something nice.

12 Likes