Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Worth also having a look at the Lidl “wine tour” wines for some very good value options.

2 Likes

I am a huge fan of Aldi wines. The choice is very limited which makes choosing easier and I don’t think I have ever seen a bottle selling for more than £10
3 recommendations- a Canadian Riesling. Their Ribera duero and an Uruguayan Tannat.
Excellent VFM.

Tried a few times - Wine Society have been selling them for quite some time and very good quality for a reasonable price.

1 Like

My last vintage was 2011, which was before the rebranding (?) of the appellation. The 2014 seems to be a step up in quality.

1 Like

We always enjoy the white Taste the Difference Languedoc. The Clearsprings Sauvignon Blanc is a pleasant fresh unsophisticated and inexpensive white, also available in a box, cheap and nice on its own.

For red the Beefsteak Malbec and also Carta Roja seem fine to us.

Note: we are not connoisseurs as our recommendations probably show but we find these OK and good value!

2 Likes

Wines for Xmas just delivered by TWS. Wines for Boxing Day coming next week :rofl:

16 Likes

Excellent Palo Cortado. Very elegant:

9 Likes

Nice stuff there Crispyduck! Which Daumas Gassac vintage is that? Plenty of good Greek and Rhône there.

It’s the 2007 and 2010 vintages for the MDDG. I think that TWS are doing really well on their Greek range so giving it a bit of exploration. Also pulled my case of the 2005 Haut Batailley so really looking forward to trying that!

2 Likes

Daumas Gassac will be delicious I am sure. Used to buy it direct from the domaine and a few older vintages in the EuroCave - it ages very well. Am sure you are going to have a great time. I am looking at pulling a few out of bond ahead of my storage fees for next year - just deciding what will add the most this Christmas. It is great having decisions like this.

Your Greek stuff looks good - loved what they sent us this year.

1 Like

It gets harder to afford the stuff I used to buy eg I regularly bought the Gonon St Joseph but recently it has just gone for silly money. That means I have to look further afield and to my mind Greece, Portugal and South Africa are the most exciting and (relatively) affordable countries at the moment

1 Like

South Africa my go to. The quality is there for whites and reds at sensible prices. I am biased though!

2 Likes

Just heard that the team who make Alphabetical Wines have gone under due to economic pressures. Such a shame - their Alphabetical Vin Extraordinaire was a fantastic Claret alternative

That’s a shame - they have been innovative and original with the whites I have tried. Swig have been importing them and we just had a pretty good white from them - BlankBottle The Empire Strikes Back

1 Like

Very much enjoying the last of my stock of this excellent value red. Ring Bolt Cabernet Sauvignon '18, a brilliant recommendation from @IDAK a couple of years ago. Thanks for that :+1:

4 Likes

@AlanP You showed amazing restraint. I drank my six within a year. It remains reasonably priced to at around $18NZ here. Must get some more, but 2018 was a truly exceptional vintage in Margaret river.

1 Like

It’s $30 here, why we pay more for our wine I’ll never know. However it’s not the first time I’ve noticed that it’s cheaper OS.

1 Like

Yes, definitely time to replenish, and if the Tesco website is up to date, still only £10 a bottle. Bargain!

1 Like

Alas my last bottle of this rather smooth GC courtesy of a good deal from Vinatis

8 Likes

After our trip to Oz I couldn’t resist the temptation of ordering a box of Leeuwin Art Series Chardonnay 2018, so glad to read your statement. I daren‘t touch it though because it’s irreplaceable :neutral_face:

2 Likes