Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

If you are looking for a house white wine for the summer then look no further. This is The Wine Society’s Greek White at £8.95 a bottle. Clocks in at 12.5% and is absolutely delicious. Unoaked and made from local Greek grapes.

6 Likes

TWS has a good range of Greek wines. The mixed case they have previously offered is excellent.

1 Like

A weekend of Riesling as we have been enjoying the tandoori box from Aktar at home. We had the 2013 of this one last night; more acidity beautiful balance and the R/S works really well with the great spices in the food.

The 2012 tonight - maybe a little lower acidity but a fuller and richer wine. Both absolutely stunning.

10 Likes

A fun evening!

RIP Jacky.

13 Likes

This is very nice - £10 at local Sainsbury’s (assuming you can tolerate the other shoppers) currently:

8 Likes

Excellent lineup Rod - another of your teaching events?

1 Like

Rather good rose this evening. Syrah blend from the Swartland South Africa. Very easy drinking indeed.

4 Likes

Yes indeed, although this was the bring-a-bottle evening dinner!

These were the mock-exam wines
(12 whites, 12 reds, 12 mixed) all also good.

The MW exam is in two weeks time, so fingers crossed for them. I only vaguely remember the stress. But important to try to enjoy the experience if they can…!

8 Likes

an event I hosted on Monday in Cornwall with Bollinger

13 Likes

That menu looks good. Quite fancy that Madeira as well!

@Quickben Chef’s where on forum on Monday that’s for sure, wines were not bad either !

4 Likes

Some of them look familiar. Sign of visiting too many restaurants?

1 Like

Drinking now…

8 Likes

Any idea what this is?

Just found it in the wine racks.

2 Likes

Great vintage! And looks to be a good level.

It’s a red Bordeaux from what is now Fronsac, mainly, or all, Merlot.

But it’s not exactly Château Latour in celebrity-terms. Current/recent vintages sell for around €10.
And if under the original cork (as seems near-certain) then it will be lucky to have survived the past 61 years sans incident.

It won’t make you rich, financially. But it might well enrich you if opened with respect, and limited expectation, in front of the right kind of slightly smelly cheese.

8 Likes

International Chardonnay Day is an excuse for some Newton Johnson.

5 Likes

Thanks Rod.

The last one I opened of that vintage which was from a really good château was completely corked.

The cork crumbled.

So my expectations will indeed be very low when I open it.

1 Like

This wine, from Waitrose, is very tasty indeed. The full on Brunello costs a lot more, and the Rosso goes a long way there for more sensible money.

12 Likes

Jeez … where the heck is your wine cellar? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

And most people couldn’t tell the difference either.

1 Like