Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Comparing 2010 and 2011. Consensus seems to be that 2011 should have been drunk already, 2010 still has time to go. Will try both tonight.

5 Likes

From the slopes overlooking the River Crouch, in the Dengie Peninsula, Essex. Excuse tha bad photography but the wine is excellent - like a Burgundy or perhaps an Oregon Pinot. Unlike any English red I’ve ever tasted. Their white Chardonnays are excellent also.

The Dengie Peninsula is predicted to be given over mostly to viticulture over the next 10yrs due to its excellent climate and protection from frost.

The winery and vineyard are local to me.

11 Likes

My uncle lives in Auxerre and has introduced me to the joys of PN from Irancy. As it is the most northerly part of Burgundy it is cooler climate and the wines are lighter. They are also more sensibly priced so highly recommended.
I also love dry Riesling and am having a12% dry Riesling from Donnhoff tomorrow night!

4 Likes

Can you elaborate sir, I live there!
Martin

The sleeping Essex giant awakens! It is daily interesting that such a good wine is coming from this unheralded region.

Yes indeed… some industry publications have called the Dengie Peninsula the Cote D’Or of the UK.

I actually discovered this whilst staying in a hotel in Canterbury last year - actually their white Chardonnay. It grabbed my interest because it was English, sourced locally to me and I’d never heard of it. Moreover it was at a price (obviously higher being a hotel restaurant) that made me wonder if it could be justified by an English still wine. I felt compelled to try it.

And I’m glad I did.

This is the first time I’ve tried the Pinot. It is perhaps a bit lighter than a Burgundy, but much more Burgundian in style than any English red I’ve ever tasted. I’m not great at describing wine but this has notes of Oranges, Chocolate and is slightly earthy (this is a joint description of my wife and I). It is very smooth and has a decent finish.

I highly recommend.

3 Likes

Congrats for picking such a marvellous region to live. I am speaking of the center of the wine region, the so called Mittelhaardt. I particularly love the Riesling wines from the village Forst. Moosbacher is a very recommendable winemaker. But also the cooperative in Forst makes excellent wines with a price/quality ratio which is unbeatable. My family and I spent one week in Wachenheim end of November.

2 Likes

I have been to Irancy a year ago. Excellent, but slightly more rustic in their character. You should be picky with the estate of your choice, but this is a requirement to be followed in the whole region of Burgundy. I came back with some cases of red wine from the Richoux winery. High level pinot for less than 20 Euro a bottle. You can‘t go wrong with this winemaker. If you love Chardonnay as well - Chablis is very close.

1 Like

It’s quite rare to taste a new wine and think wow, this is good. But wow, this is good. A white Côtes du Rhône that we bought in France last weekend. We’ve had various Jaboulet Aîné reds before, but never one of their whites.

11 Likes

Not sure I’d be keen on consuming Goolies! :flushed: :flushed: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Very nice …

Totally agree, the Forst wine is amazing value for money. 1 minute drive for me.
Martin

1 Like

Some of the wines for tomorrow. For white we have another local hero from just down the road. I’ll have to delegate the drinks to my B-in-L as I’m on cook duty with 14 for lunch…

15 Likes

Enjoy Richard, I spot another English Pinot there.

2 Likes

Lovely wines. I’ve not tried that particular PN but I love Balfour wines. Their Blanc de Noirs is just delicious. V jealous!
And thanks for all the skilful moderating this year - enjoy a well earned rest

3 Likes

Yes, we are located pretty much equidistant between Chapel Down and Hush Heath. Biddenden is a little bit closer and there’s also the Dingleden Vineyard, practically on our doorstep, with their excellent Benenden Bacchus, which I’ll be serving tomorrow.

2 Likes

Thanks, however, I’ll be here throughout the holidays - I love shepherding the forum but the downside of the job is that I never get a day off…

4 Likes

If only everyone could behave themselves for a day :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Tomorrow is family time at my sister’s, they like the occasional glass of Sauvignon Blanc and don’t drink red. So a simple selection.

13 Likes

V nice choice

1 Like