Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Time to lower the tone with one from Aldi - I’m getting over a cold and have little smell, some taste so didn’t want to risk something expensive…

Nicely mature, more CS than merlot - always a plus for me.

9 Likes

Aperitif time … fino … Bombilla Fino Electrico from Bodegas Toro Albala. Despite the gimmicky bottle it’s a most enjoyable fino, and it reflects the history of the bodegas.

5 Likes

Late to the wine this year … cold Guinea fowl deserved a red, I wanted to taste this for sometime. It’s quite light but flavourful; hard to believe its drinking window lasts to 2030. However, I’m new to Barolo.

Now I’m an old friend of this sweetheart. Luscious, even with Christmas pudding and Stilton (I still can’t find the port I had planned to drink).

10 Likes

Apologies for the slow response, from their website…

The bottle is styled on an old townscape with colourful silhouetted houses.

2 Likes

Is that on the shelves now? I like d’Arsac as a pretty well balanced light wine with quite a lot of Margaux character, can be good value for a well made reasonable quality minor Bordeaux.

1 Like

No, it was on special offer and soon went.

Edit: on sale in Aldi around April at £10 a bottle. From memory my shop only had 4 left when I purchased.

1 Like

That’s an unbelievable price for D’Arsac! I’m not surprised it didn’t last long on the shelf.

2 Likes

Barolo can be triksie. The last one I had from my collection was 15 yo, and I’m just lucky I waited that long because some of the cellar tracker members drank theirs at 8-10 & 12 years, and just weren’t impressed. It was a 2007 Patrese Barolo, not an expensive one, and it was excellent in 2022. Still had nice fruit, the tannins were present but softened, light acids, and it was not alcohol-forward, which I had sort of been expecting.
I’m looking for a few more to add at this point, but I want to get some that are already 7-8 years old, as I’m not gettin’ any younger …

1 Like

What a miserable day weather wise, started off dry and was just about to go to do a few things in the garden/garage, then the heavens opened.

Having now sorted out a bit of paperwork, I’m relaxing with this. Far too quaffable at this time of day though we do have roast beef to cook later.

9 Likes

I picked up a few nicely-priced additions today. They received excellent reviews from my wine club sommeliers, so should be very nice in 3 or 4 years.
I got four of the Kleine Zalze Chenin Blanc. Aged CB is nice with roast chicken other savoury dishes.
The Nemea Reserve from Greece, also four bottles, is medium-bodied and apparently hits well above its price point.
I bought six of the Fleurie because Beaujolais/Burgundies are expensive in Canada, and this is a Nuits-St-Georges, and apparently Fluerie is the favoured Beaujolais Cru.

Our prices are so different (read higher) from UK prices that I won’t bother mentioning them, but all the same I look forward to tasting them when they’re ready.

5 Likes

Nice selection @david1111 - the 2022 chenins I have tried so far have been excellent so I am sure Klkeine Zalze will deliver and as you rightly point out they develop so well in bottle. Greek wines have been a pleasant surprise for me in the last few years and certainly deliver exceptional value - The agiorgitiko is pretty much unpronouncable and I would hate to get it in a vinous spelling bee. I have been enjoying it in our house rose - in a blend with maschifilero from the Wine Society. Delicious. I have bought more Beaujolais than Burgundy as just better value, even though I really love pinot noir. I think @HungryHalibut has been enjoying Fleurie on his trips to France this year. We opened a 2018 Moulin a Vent last night which was more structured than some of the Beaujolais Villages I have had recently but quite delicious - enjoy your cellar treasure trove!

1 Like

Fleurie was 2022. We stayed on a campsite on the edge of the village. This is a picture taken on our 10 minute walk into the centre for shopping.

Various local Fleurie vignerons did tastings at the campsite, which was nice, and it’s good to buy wines direct from them. We drove to Moulin â Vent and bought a mixed case from the estate Château du Moulin â Vent, who make some fantastic wines, some of which are really costly, but very very lovely.

This year it was Collioure and Albi, and in September 2024 we are driving down to Aix. I do like Provence Rosés.

Collioure was really interesting. Together with the neighbouring town Banyuls, there are two coterminous appellations; Collioure for the dry wines and Banyuls for the sweet. The vineyards are really vertiginous and very hard to work. We opened a Banyuls over Christmas and drank it at fridge temperature as advised by the man who makes it. It’s great with fruit pudding or a slice of Christmas cake.

14 Likes

Good to know my memory not totally shot after the seaonal imbibing. I endorse your recommendations for both the wines and terroir of the Roussillon - some stunning wines and lovely places to visit from the coast to the Pyrenees especially all of the Cathar castles. Just acquired some rancio sec from one of the local producers.

Hi @Rod_Smith – love reading your opinions on this thread. Wondering what your view is on (UK-based) wine clubs. Are they good value with their ‘discounts’ or best avoided? Any advice on where to look beyond the usual suspects?

Many thanks, Isca

1 Like

Hi @Eoink, with apologies for the delay, you asked me to report back on the alcohol free sparkling wine. I did taste it and my detailed tasting notes were as follows: fizzy. And that’s about it. The size and texture of the bubbles were pretty good, but it really tasted of very little else!

The Montrose, on the other hand, was absolutely stunning. Quite challenging to those not so “into wine”. My wife said it was “too much” for her and went back to her Rioja. Good job, more for me.

The red pudding wine was good, not my usual sticky, but big enough to carry a Christmas pudding.

The PX was as expected - like filling your mouth with as many currants as possible and leaving them there for as long as possible. Lovely stuff.

4 Likes

Very old Palo Cortado, fabulous nose with a myriad of aromas, an intense, long, savoury taste, peppery finish (it’s 21.5%).

13 Likes

We are still at it, running the marathon!

13 Likes

Thanks Bobby.

Yes @Quickben I’m looking forward very much to trying the Chenin Blancs when their ready, luckily I have a some older CBs for the meantime.
Our Ontario Liquor board has been bringing in a lot more Greek wines in the last few years which is nice. I must admit, I hadn’t even tried to sound out and pronounce the agiorgitiko varietal until you posted it, as I didn’t think I’d remember the spelling, so thanks for that. And I also really enjoy the Burgundy Pinots, but yes, the Beaujolais Gamays are delicious and much easier on the wallet, especially at our Canadian prices. We also don’t have anywhere near the selection that’s available in the UK, or even the US, so the Fleuries were a nice find. If its still available in a few months I may pick up some more.

We go thru periods here where I wouldn’t add any of the monthly offerings to my collection. But they’ve brought in a lot of excellent choices this last month and I’m scambling a bit to get them before they sell out. Its an unusual, and quite controlled, system here for distrubuting alcohol. Hopefully it will open up and decentralise in the future.

1 Like

Found it …

13 Likes