Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

2016 is the best since 1989 in my opinion. But they will drink earlier, because that’s how Bordeaux is made these days.

But it was such a good year, they will last a long time too. 09 and all but the heftiest 10s all drinking well now, although it depends what you are looking for. Cabernet dominated wines age very slowly.

We had Lagrange (St Julien) 2000 on Friday and it was perfectly à point, with no hurry to drink yet.

4 Likes

Not a fino you see much of, with Tip Pepe and La Ina being more common. But it’s very good, great nose and a buttery, linear palate.
Sometimes marketed as Dry Sack.

8 Likes

Absolutely delicious. Big, deep and rich, with intense black fruits, but still soft tannins, nicely balanced. From Mount Langi Ghiran

8 Likes

That’s excellent. Thank you for taking the time to inform/educate me, I appreciate it.
Sounds like maybe I should grab a few more 2016 CCs while it’s still available. Our Government run supply chain in Ontario is very limited, and we just don’t get anywhere near the selection of other countries.
They really should privatise the industry here. I love St. Julien wines, but they are so pricey here and privatisation would help that.

2 Likes

Sherry is the wine that God drinks.

When she can’t get Madeira.

5 Likes

You made this TB sound so good that I had to look it up and the profile said it had some grenache and cinsault which would just soften it a bit, as well as the generous aging.
Must have been lovely. I’ll certainly grab some if our wine and liquor overlords ever bring some into Ontario. We’re at their mercy.

I was shocked that I was able to get some 2016 Chateau Clarke as I mentioned a few posts ago. I’m buying some more tomorrow, before it’s all gone. Should be very nice in 5-6 years, and longer of course.

I love the developing tastes as it ages. It’s $55 cad here, I wonder what the 2016 CC costs in the UK.

1 Like

Molitor Kabinett 2016. Only 7.5% alcohol. Very delicate and complex. Really nice with Thai chicken curry tonight.

10 Likes

Excellent IDAK

Rather special these low alcohol wines when one gets a good one

2 Likes

Really Good choice from a great year for Kabi from the Uhr :+1:

1 Like

I need to check my Molitors as some probably coming round from 15 and 16.

2 Likes

Saar is also delicious in 15 and 16, especially the 16 Saarburger Rausch from Zilliken, one of the best Kabis I own

2 Likes

First of these I’ve had and it’s lovely. Nicely softened and approachable, red fruits still very much present, but earthy notes starting to come through with oak and vanilla. Good for taking the edge off a crazy half term at Center Parcs.

6 Likes

Just waiting for my Saarburger Rausch Kab 2022 to be delivered

1 Like

More Napa nostalgia yesterday.

But this was a dinner for five people, so feeling a little more fragile this morning.

15 Likes

Rausch is always a good choice :+1:

2 Likes

Again, a very nice collection for a dinner.
There are some very old Chardonnays there. I didn’t know they would keep that long. Does the extra wood presence in the Napa Chardonnays help?
I always have some SA Chenin Blancs, Rieslings, and Hunter Valley Semillons, aging, as they are all quite affordable, but I’ve never thought aging a Chardonnay.

The French whites I would like to age are just a bit pricey in Canada.

Vidal Merlot Cabernet 2019 from Hawkes bay.
Just $18nz and brimming with plums and dark berry fruit. Not very tannic. Easy drinking red priced right.

10 Likes

Vidal produce excellent wines IDAK

Don’t see too much of their range in Aussie which is a pity

Oooh, Mondavi Cabs, stunning, I’m especially jealous of the ‘69.

1 Like

4 Likes