Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

I have very hazy memories of visiting the winery back in the ‘90s (the upside of spending a lot of time in San Jose on business was the occasional weekend in Napa). If I remember rightly the winery opened pre-war, it is one of the historical family wineries and back then was still in family ownership.

5 Likes

Not a big fan of Napa valley’s wines but clearly a big fan of Bordeaux’s Pessac Léognan, still my favourite reds!

1 Like

Coffee/cocoa hit me as soon as I’d opened it.

Very nice.

One of the heaviest standard bottles I’ve ever lifted too!

9 Likes

Celebrating our 24 wedding aniversary.

Austere

adjective

/ɒˈstɪə(r)/, /ɔːˈstɪə(r)/

/ɔːˈstɪr/

1. ​simple and plain; without any decorations

2. ​(of a person) strict and serious in appearance and behaviour

3. ​allowing nothing that gives pleasure; not comfortable

6 Likes

Yes spot on. They were one of the pioneer wineries, founded by a settler from Piemonte (hence presumably ‘Louis’, and Barbera).
They survived prohibition by selling grapes for ‘bathtub’ home-made wine, and were a founding partner of the Napa Valley Vintners Association (a partner of the IMW) after WWII. It’s now owned by Gallo (whose story is similar, just less Napa), so remains in family hands.

Was a lovely evening, and they were very generous (there were fifty of us).

5 Likes

Meanwhile, some standout stars from a stellar vintage:

Canon, Rauzan-Ségla and Calon Ségur have it for me, although the still-too-closed-in Cheval Blanc and Las Cases will win in the end I imagine.

Great tasting!

12 Likes

Just me and Mrs Duck this evening. A white CDR from Stephane Ogier that I used for a pork with prunes recipe from Tours. Had a glass with the meal obvs. Then a 2007 Faugeres from Les Bastides d’Alquier - fantastic Languedoc wine for a night in front of the box

11 Likes

Lovely rich wine. Black fruits and a good smooth texture, delicious.
I do like Vallone wines, they really hit the spot.

8 Likes

I went off Chardonnays years ago but slowly starting enjoy them again this Yarra Valley 2022 oddly named @Innocent_Bystander :rofl: is a rather nice drop.

10 Likes

Yarra Valley chardys are generally pretty good , a bit “cleaner” and flinty than some of the other Victorian ones

This one By Farr from Geelong is an absolute cracker

8 Likes

Crack this one this evening - had the 2013 the other night and it was excellent

11 Likes

Hi IDAK

I’d forgotten I had a couple of this Dry River

Being a 2015 vintage do you think it would have stood the test of time ?

It gets great reviews , only one way to find out I guess

Thought you may have tried it ?

Cheers

5 Likes

@Bevo I reckon it’ll be great. I’ve stumbled over a few old bottles in my cellar as well . It usually lasts easily for 10 years. It tends to have a a high extract from low cropping and lot of weight in the mouth. Usually quince, apricot, lychee and spice on palate. Great with Indian and Thai or a good cheese board. It’s right up there with some of the best Alsatian examples.

1 Like

Thanks IDAK

Let you know how I go

Cheers

1 Like

Great cellar!

Wow, beautiful group of 2016s, Rod.
I just picked up three 2016 Chateau Clarkes. Do you think 5 more years may put them in a good drinking zone?
Apparently, 2016 was a comparable vintage to 2010, I read somewhere. All the same tho, 2016 was a great vintage by many accounts. I’m drinking my 2009 Cahateau Clarkes now and they’ve been very good, but '09 was extremely hot and dry, so 14 years has done them well.

1 Like

So that’s what he looks like!

3 Likes

Obviously quite a shady character. :grin:

3 Likes

Named after me it is bound to be great!

2 Likes

When you are eating great food from southern France, it makes sense to go local and this mature Tempier Bandol was just so good. Massive Mourvèdre tannins smoothed out with time but still that dark bramble fruit.

Was most surprised when FB told me that exactly 11 years to the day I opened a 2003 Tempier - not sure whether I have one left for 2035 though

11 Likes