Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Under £10.00 a bottle department.
Look at all them medals. A monarch among wines.
Plus catering help from the library for the tired of leg at 5pm.
Asda £9.50 so stretching the budget.

9 Likes

Thanks for this advice. Jamek is known to me, but I never heard of Grabenwerkstatt vinery. I will definitely check.

1 Like

Try it out, one of the guys worked for Bürklin-Wolf some years ago. :wink:

1 Like

Grabenwerkstatt are well worth seeking out. I still have some 2018 and still to crack on with 2019 both of which are in the Wachau Federspiel classification - 11.5-12.5% and max 4g/l R/S. Really looking forward to them. And at £20 a bottle not excessive.

1 Like

That‘s good, thanks. The family of my wife is living in Worms, not far from the Palatinate hotspots. We get to Deidesheim in 45 minutes by car from Worms. I even have some bottles left in my cellar from Bürklin-Wolf. Wonderful Riesling. I thinks I will contact those guys in Austria. What I love is the absolute dry character of the Wachau white wines. I am sure they are top notch.

1 Like

Despite being a bit before it’s prime, that Cochre Dury Mersault is an absolute banger.

1 Like

Sometimes their wines are hard to get, if you need help don’t hesitate to contact me. :wink: I could also recommend the vines from Rudi Pichler, especially the Veltliner, I just love the whole range and they are not too expensive

1 Like

That’s quite a Monday! Or some really good friends!!

Subtle oak with clean notes. Full body bursting with ‘summer’ flavours is how I’d put it. :+1:

1 Like

Indeed. Although the Chablis was the winning white on the day. But then, it was Raveneau…

2 Likes

**[quote=“david1111, post:7881, topic:254, full:true”]

We’re off to my eldest daughter’s Birthday this afternoon, she’s the 28th … close enough?
Happy birthday, Ian, many happy returns. :birthday:
[/quote]

I am sure that is the case

1 Like

Happy belated birthday to your daughter, Ian.
In that post, I was wishing Pete a HB as his is on the 29th. My eldest daughter’s birthday is actually also on January 28th. Small world. She’s 41 this year and we have a lot of fun when she comes over about once a week.
Cheers.
Edit: Hmmm, I think I got confused with the quotes there, Ian. It’s getting late here … yeah. I’ll go with that … :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Checked them. Sold out completely, quite expensive.

1 Like

If you want help, I could check out at my dealer in the Wachau. Real good Wachauer are not cheap, unfortunately

7 Likes

Sorry str, I just can’t imagine a Ribera del Duero being ready to drink in 2 years. Needs another 4-5 years at least, I would think.
However … I could be wrong. That has happened once or twice. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

6 Likes

yes. the restaurants here have no time to wait;))

2 Likes

I can imagine. If I ordered some of the aged wines that I see members posting here from dinners they’re having at restaurants, the wine would easily cost $600 cad in Toronto. 4x the cost is a pretty standard markup. Sometimes only 3x, but the wines here are already twice the price initially.

2 Likes

The majority of restaurants that offer older vintages usually charge a significant markup on market though there are some exceptions. With BYO opportunities available we can bring bottles we have aged or acquired with some maturity for (hopefully) an acceptable price. Where it is up to £40 we usually just go along with it but sometimes negotiation works especially if the somm is friendly.

We are visiting the Ledbury next month as there is some availability when we are in London and with their 3rd star secured it seemed a good opportunity. They will charge us £75 a bottle so we are looking for our unicorns. I have 1963 Taylor’s Port.

6 Likes