Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Oops!

Easily the best 1942 I’ve tried.
(Although, I think it might also be the worst too, come to think of it). Minty and still alive. Last four bottles opened tonight. Very privileged.

17 Likes

That’s amazing Rod, I hope there was some fruit left. (Interesting that it says 1er Crû.)

1 Like

Aldi - under £6.

6 Likes

Premier Cru (we think they stopped doing that in the 50s) and in near-transparent glass - the war years were tough. Almost certainly harvested and made by entirely female hands.

If you’d like a recommendation of a wine book to read, I’d heartily endorse “Wine and War” by Don and Petie Kladstrup.

Still had fruit and held up in the glass too. Four single bottles, so a lot of sediment.

The rest of the wines were ‘pal mal’ too…

12 Likes

A stunning lineup, I bet the ‘89 was wonderful. Glad the ‘42 was in good nick. Thanks for the book recommendation, I’ll pick that up.

2 Likes

Delicious wine from Trentino

6 Likes

I do so like this thread

5 Likes

It helped to wash down Aldi’s chicken jalfrezi I’ve not tried before which was very tasty! :grinning:

1 Like

Yours was under €6.

Mine was free!!!

As I often say to people: anyone can find a good wine for a lot of money. It’s finding a good wine for not a lot of money that constitutes success.

5 Likes

Absolutely, it wasn’t anything special but certainly not unpleasant and good value for the price considering how much must have gone in taxes.

I often try cheap Nero d’Avola wines when I find them simply because the owner of an excellent Italian restaurant we used to visit decades ago always recommended them as good value. I assume he was Sicilian but honestly don’t know.

I’m sure I’d prefer to be at some of your tasting sessions though!

1 Like

I’ve already mentioned the 150th Anniversary series of wines from The Wine Society. This is the 2019 Moulin-a-Vent from Jacques Depagneux. This is seriously good - quite racy with loads of structure and length. Excellent value

9 Likes

Lovely southern Italian wine, full, very savoury, and rather satisfying. Now rebranded as Flaminio, but delicious blend of Negroamaro and susumaniello. One bottle left, but another case of Flaminio.

7 Likes

Hi David1111, something worth looking into is Ontario’s rules for bringing wine into the country when you return from a trip abroad. A combination of the Federal and BC rules allow me to bring 60 bottles into the country at an average duty of between 14 and 20%instead of 130% or so (the federal duty is capped so more expensive the bottle the lower the rate :blush: You must travel with the wine. And if you bring 61 bottles, it triggers full duty on all of the bottles above the 2 bottle duty free allowance. I’ve brought about 1600 bottles into the country since 2016 (broke less than 10 bottles — Spanish seem most fragile). All for personal (friends and family) consumption and have about 750 bottles in the cellar with more in the queue. One other thing to check is if it makes a difference whether you live in Canada or abroad. We live in the UK and the wine is for our vacation place. It took me a year+ of online research and ultimately speaking to a very helpful woman at the BC Liquor Board.

2 Likes

The first pic is my first transfer in 2016. This was at Hong Kong Airport and in hindsight I was very lucky that nothing broke. Second pick is the 60 bottles I moved in Feb this year. Lots of padding, bubble wrap and blankets.
Hong Kong was the best as I would ship from UK in bond and then because HK has no tax on wine, it was very economical. Now that I am back in the UK, I need to pay UK taxes when I take the wine out of bond. Still much better than Canada and more choice than I will ever need.

1 Like

I had no knowledge of that Peter, thanks for the tip. It probably won’t apply to me much as we don’t often travel abroad these days, but my mate here whom is origionally from Manchester visits his sister in London regularly. So, I’ll let him know and maybe arrange a combined purchase with him next time he goes.
Thanks again and cheers.

1 Like

At Bollinger on Monday with customers got a chance to taste the sublime RD 2008

customer tasting in London on Wednesday

14 Likes

Spending an afternoon in Verona, wandered into a wine store, as you do, and came out with 2 bottles of white and one red.

17 Likes

Got this being delivered next week - looking forward to it!

2 Likes

Lunch at a Thai restaurant and theme was non-Alsace varietals. Conclusions were that the best wine for Thai probably Riesling and Alsace especially so.

The Scheurebe from Franconia was a new varietal for me and did pretty well. Loved the Gobelsburg and worked for my dish but others said it was struggling with peppered dishes.

8 Likes

This should go with tonight’s spaghetti bolognaise

11 Likes