Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

I have got a couple so almost as interested as you

1 Like

Bought in a mixed case. Fragrant Riesling, minerally on the palate with quite steely fruit, not totally dry but with creamy ripeness, very long finish.
I have liked Zilliken wines since the first time I tasted them decades ago, very fine and pure Saar style.

10 Likes

This rather elegant Bordeaux is discounted at Waitrose at the moment…

6 Likes

I recently realised I didn’t have much in the way of variety of basic everyday/cooking white wines so ordered some from TWS. One of them was this Chardonnay from Yalumba. Inexpensive and going down rather well at the moment. The Pelican on the label is nice too. I like Pelicans…

9 Likes

Friday night is claret night! A rather lovely bottle of Madame, Chateau de Pitray 2014. Castillons Cotes de Bordeaux remains a good source of v reasonable claret

9 Likes

On my own tonight (with Stanley our cat). Penne turkey bolognese and a real decent SA Syrah. Needed 20 minutes of air (although I couldn’t wait). Catching up on my reading and Radio Paradise.

9 Likes

I like how you pour. Healthy glassful.

1 Like

@Richard.Dane if you like Pelican’s check out Domaine Pelican in Jura. The Pinot blend pictured is a great summer afternoon wine. I consumed my last bottle during Covid but it’s a real refreshing red, and was nice with a bit of a chill/served direct from the wine fridge.

5 Likes

The Twelve Days of Bordeaux En Primeur

12 pronounced tannins
11 fatuous clichés (à éditer)
10 silky textures
9 waxed lemons
8 cassis aromas
7 chalky textures
6 persistent finishes
5 - gold - hues -
4 crème de mûres
3 cocoa oaks
2 juicy acidities

And a trip to the dentist on Tuesday…

I shall be drinking beer and Sherry this weekend! And going for a long, long run.
Before a week of writing, editing and formatting…

10 Likes

At a restaurant last night (Lasdun at the National Theatre / brilliant) my wife and I had a bottle of this Riesling Trocken by Eva Fricke - just sensational. I’m going to see if I can track some down. These Riesling Trockens are such good food wines

12 Likes

This evening’s refreshment.
Salt baked wild sea bass after a bunch of mussels. The latter were cooked in a splash of Viognier, which was a great match. The Riesling was stunning, with just a hint of oilyness. The Barsac, perhaps it’s a bit young, had notes of apricot and honey; delicious nevertheless with lemon meringue.

12 Likes

Les Bastides d’Alquier Faugeres 2009. Fabulous Languedoc wine that has loads of life left in it

11 Likes

It was a new world weekend. Dodged the wet weather in London, engaged in some retail therapy and made an early trip to Borough Market this morning to get supplies to make myself a proper dinner (and found some time to spend 45 minutes on the Peloton). Dinner tonight was Duck Breast with a red wine and raspberry jam reduction, twice cooked potatoes (using the duck fat) and 5 hour slow cooked red cabbage (best combo is duck and red cabbage IMHO). The wine was a California pinot noir. It rocked (this was the 3rd bottle of 6 of this wine that I have had, but the first with a meal – best bottle yet).

. Posted the retail therapy. Original 1980 poster. Being framed and sent to Canada. Have the perfect place for it.

8 Likes

Here is the red…

8 Likes

I have a couple of mixed case trockens from TWS - really enjoyable. 2015 and 2016 and all have been so enjoyable to date.

2 Likes

Was on the bike with a rucksack when I saw this amd managed to fit two bottles in. I was going to be good tonight but I have now reconsidered!

8 Likes

Rough end of the business.

This product (I am sure many of your taste buds would not recognise it as wine) seems to be well received.

Not as sweet as Burge Ink or Jip Jip so I can declare it characterful.
Tinned prunes and singed meat were two of the apparent flavours mentioned in one review. Leather and black pepper also get a mention.zzzzzzzz.The local inebriates have caused stock levels to fall dramatically.

2 Likes

Look forward to buying your annual Bordeaux report … hopefully in time to guide me through this years rather early en primeur campaign.

Indeed! Prices already!

I have submitted my scores to Liv-ex
… and am working on the report (628 wines tasted!!)

1 Like

I’ve gone for a punt on a couple of old favourites, Angludet and Batailley.

4 Likes