Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Had this a week or so ago, it started out a little rough but given a bit air improve dramatically. Not a blend I would normally buy.

12 Likes

Last night’s wine, enjoying an evening on the balcony. I have become a big fan of Austrian reds. Picked this up on a recent dutch auction sale Justerini’s did.

12 Likes

Sounds really interesting. Would it taste as good taken out of the location?

Opening this for tonight’s ragu made with pork cheek and the leftover ratatouille perked up with a few shakes of smoked paprika and a glass of sherry and a tin of cannellini beans.

Love the Gredos Grenache style of Daniel Landi. Quite light and expressive. Sampled on opening and starting well. Serving around 12C. We also have 2011 Fevre Vaulorent 1er cru Chablis with starter so not a bad Saturday night ahead as the sun comes out again

10 Likes

Good question Qb - I assume it’s a crowded marketplace but the caramel flavour could be a usp. We had a commercial one in a tapas place in Vigo a couple of days before which (unsurprisingly) was a good deal smoother.

2 Likes

Tonight’s wine - a 2020 Santa Barbara Chardonnay made as part of The Wine Society’s 150th anniversary range by Au Bon Climat. This was the last vintage made by the great Jim Clendenen before his death in 2021. At TWS 150th anniversary tasting earlier this year, my daughter and I thought that this was the best wine of the whole evening. Having with whole baked Cornish lemon sole

9 Likes

Deep and dark fruit on the nose, but tastes quite fresh and crunchy dark fruit, soft tannins, quite a mouthful. Enjoyable.
I met maker, Gregg Trott, a number of times at tastings in the UK, he was a fun guy.

9 Likes

At home in Milan with very good friends.

9 Likes

Have just gone and bought a couple of bottles - looking forward to it!

You won’t be disappointed!

1 Like

A pair of Clinet’s. Decanted the Eglise 3 hours before we sat down for dinner. It was too long. It was a very nice wine but what I really liked when I tested it when first opened (Leather/cedar/dark chocolate) became much more subtle when we sat down for dinner. This was the first of 5 magnums of this vintage that we purchased.

12 Likes

Acting on Pete’s recommendations I meant to order a bottle for Christmas Day , ordered two instead

Doh

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

It’s an age thing

8 Likes

BBQ wine - maybe a little sophisticated. Beautifully smooth but no signs of falling off any cliff for a good while - which is useful as still another 4 in the case, courtesy of TWS Vintage Cellar Plan.

15 Likes

Burgers (?) and bordeaux. If so, nice combo.

3 Likes

Nope - some nice rib eye steaks.

3 Likes

Even better.

Just pulled a case of this from my TWS reserves. Chateau Puygueraud 2014. A very decent and inexpensive ‘Sunday night’ claret - and extremely drinkable

13 Likes

Nectar Pedro Xhimanez Dulce with canitas. Looked like dense balsamic vinegar when poured. Such a complexity of tastes. Sometimes sweet can be sooo good!

11 Likes

A couple had over the weekend. :+1: :champagne:
Piper Heidsieck
Ata Rangi Celebre 2021 NZ

9 Likes

Getting the reserves reduced before the annual storage bill?

I have got 66 bottles arriving this Friday on the Society van. Chris (TWS driver) is going to love me!

5 Likes