Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Part of a mixed case of Southern Rhone wines that I bought from TWS in 2021 and have just pulled. A rather delicious organic Viognier. Sometimes I find Viognier a bit too much but this is restrained and subtle - a real find

6 Likes

Hi Rod hope you don’t mind asking but what’s your opinion of the wine from the Hunter region in NSW. I remember them as having much better wines than seem to be available now. The most memorable wine I’ve ever had was from case of Mudgee red that we found under a friends family home they were 35 years old. Reminded me of a Grange but better, well at least the ones I’ve drunk. :grin:

If you mean the Hunter Valley, Pete, the HV Semillon whites are unique in that they can age for very long time. I have 4 bottles in the cellar that are about 5 years old and I’ll begin drinking them in a few years and then one bottle every two years after that and see how they change.
But I don’t know anything about the reds from that area. I’m sure Rod does tho …

1 Like

That’s seems to be the case their whites get more attention than the reds. However when was younger their reds were quite drinkable. It might be me as I’ve moved to South Australian and Tasmanian wines and just don’t look for them anymore.

2 Likes

You mentioned Tasmanian wines before and last year , we had one on Christmas Day , on your recommendation

It was very good :blush:

So this year , I have bought another Janz for Christmas

5 Likes

God I hope they good but thankfully they usually are.

1 Like

This Christmas will be an all :australia: Australian affair, Penfolds St Henri Shiraz for the main course , Janz sparkling as the opener and from the Dandelion Vineyard, a Pedro Ximenez

Best wishes

Ian ( still in bed)

2 Likes

Hi Eoin , how was the port ?

Best wishes

Ian

Now your talking I love St Henri definitely one of my favourites.

3 Likes

I so admire how you youngsters plan six months ahead.

Mr.Waitrose has just delivered this to my door. Looks a little young but cellaring is probably not a concept available to me.:joy::joy:

£9.99 so it fits into my first principal of wine purchase. I know…I know………

7 Likes

The port party is this Saturday, I’m dropping the ‘91 off tomorrow to give it time to stand after the trip to my friends’ place (and a decanter as they’ll open their ‘63, another friend is bringing a ‘63 colheita, and for non port drinkers we’ll need a dry wine or two).

4 Likes

Hi Eoin

I have a 63 port upstairs , though I think it may have succumbed to old age . I am more hopeful of a 1970 Dows, which as I am 70 in 18 months time …

Enjoy the party

best wishes

Ian

4 Likes

The Hunter Valley produces some of Australia’s finest wines, including its first ever Chardonnay. And it has among the longest histories at so doing.

But despite being quite a long way north, it has significant cloud cover from the Blue Mountains, in whose shadow it lies (especially the Upper Hunter). This prolongs the ripening season and thus makes the wines more elegant than that might otherwise be (still a warm climate though!). Similar can be said of Santa Barbara and Los Carneros in California (although for reasons of fog rather than cloud). So the whites, as David said, are mainly famous for early picked, low(ish) alcohol Semillon destined to age magnificently in bottle, and reds from Shiraz/Syrah (often labelled as the latter due to the elegance) and others. They are less rich, and lower in alcohol, than their counterparts from Barossa for example.

The clouds also bring threats of frost, hail and humidity (this latter meaning the threat of mildew), so it is neither an easy, nor an inexpensive, place to grow fruit crops. Add to that the very high land value due to its touristy popularity and proximity to Sydney and the odds of bargains are limited, but the best (Brokenwood, Tyrrells, Tulloch and Audrey Wilkinson being the big names) are well worth seeking out, and it is a nature-lovers paradise, so also worth a visit (more than a day trip from the city though - the drive is around two-three hours)

7 Likes

A mid week red, horror of horrors eaten with smoked sockeye salmon and potato salad. Initially a bit closed with only a hint of dark fruit, tannins very mellow sufficient to coat the tongue. Oh no … I’ve been called out to the pub for an evening chat. The wine will have to wait for another night.

4 Likes

A friend who’s popping over from Germany for the party rang last week to suggest we took a vintage appropriate port, it’s the 40th anniversary of the graduation of several of us. (The ‘63 ports correspond to birth years and were gifts for a wedding and a significant birthday.) I struggled to find any ‘84 ports worth taking, a Grahams Malvedos SQ felt like a high risk for an off-vintage, so we’re taking the risk of spirits. Wish me luck.

11 Likes

Good luck Eoink.

1 Like

Thanks. :grinning:

Hi Eoin

Have a great party

best wishes

Ian
PS That looks a stunning Armagnac

2 Likes

1963 was a very good year for Port – one of the best so fingers crossed yours has survived years.

1 Like

Perhaps it might be an idea to open this Christmas , whilst having something like a Pedro Ximenez as an alternative ?