Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Sounds like a plan Ian2001.

1 Like

It does depend on the port house on how they last. Many years ago I attended a port tasting that included 1963 and 1966, the Fonseca’s were very fleshy and full, but the Symington group wines were more tannic but very pleasant. I still have some 63 Fonseca bottles and I must get some out. Fonseca is my favoured port house, I like the sweet opulence and full richness.

4 Likes

We are celebrating here, my 60-1 birthday. Oh, how nice is to feel alive!

16 Likes

Happy birthday :+1:

3 Likes

What is it with this being birthday week? My wife and I are this coming Tuesday/Wednesday.

The 1996 Dome was excellent.

6 Likes

A very happy birthday

Best wishes

Ian

2 Likes

Happy birthday to you both

Best wishes

Ian

2 Likes

Happy birthday.

2 Likes

Hi Eoin, how was the Port Party?

Best wishes

Ian

2 Likes

Hi Ian, it was a great time. Lovely to catch up with old friends, of the 11 of us 6 were my college contemporaries, a lot of good memories over 40+ years. Our hosts had cooked a full Portuguese inspired meal as well as the cheese selection.
We started with something new to me, a pink port. I’m assuming the port houses are looking to appeal to new markets. The box suggested making it a long drink, I tried a couple of glasses, one with soda water and one with tonic water, over ice with chopped fruit it made for a lovely refreshing summer drink on a rainy day.

A vinho verde and a very enjoyable Chanson Côtes de BeauneVillage 2017 (gentle nose and palate of soft red fruits with an enticing perfume) went with the meal.

7 Likes

Then the main course (:grinning:), port and cheese.
First up was the Cockburn ‘63.

This was a glorious wine. As you can see the colour is now very faded red. The nose was gorgeous, sweet with spices. The palate was delicate yet completely palate filling. An early note of almonds gave way to ethereal sweetness and immense complexity from spices, balanced by alcohol sharpness it had a rich mouth coating feel without any cloying. It was hard to think analytically about this, it was just something to savour. Wonderful wine.

Followed by the Quinta do Vesuvio ‘91.

Very different in style, this is a vintage part just arriving at maturity. Still a deep ruby in colour, the nose offers power , red fruits and sweetness. The palate is rich and powerful, nice alcohol sharpness, dark red fruits, chocolate, a classic youngish vintage port.

Then the ‘63 colheita from Palmer

Light brown in colour, it was classically tawny in style. Lovely nose of nuts, citrus and spices, the palate delicate, sweet, good alcohol, lovely nuttiness balanced with orange citrus, lovely complex wine.

And I finished with a glass of the ‘84 Castarède Armagnac, which was lovely, deep rich fruit (plums?), subtle spices, classy.
I left at about half 1, lovely food, great ports and really dear friends, a perfect evening.

11 Likes

Sounds fabulous, good food, wine and old friends is a delightful combination

Best wishes

Ian

3 Likes

Thanks Ian. There’s definitely hope for your ‘63, the Cockburn had been kept in their house(s) for 29 years, survived multiple house moves and was in lovely condition.
The box was still in an Oddbins Fine Wine cardboard sleeve, if you were still working there in ‘95 @Rod_Smith you might well have sold it to me.

5 Likes

Thank you all for the b-day wishes — another reason 1963 was a good year. Karen says thank you too. Shared a bottle of Slovakian Orange wine. Had it last Sunday at a restaurant in Hackney — Elliott’s. Decided needed to have some for the summer (when/if it arrives).

5 Likes

We opened 63 Dow a few months back for our dinner at the Ledbury. It was a thing of grace and beauty that was probably not too far off the downward slope so very glad it had the right occasion.

We have enjoyed an excellent 2003 Touriga National this weekend. Some sediment on opening so double decanted and it really opened up and delivered across two evenings. First of 6 so will be great for autumn stews as well as summer BBQs.

7 Likes

Happy Birthday to Mrs PP for today and you for tomorrow.

1 Like

A few bottles from dinner with friends on the weekend :champagne: :+1:
Ayala Champagne
Brookfields Marshall Road Chardonnay 2021 NZ
Seifried Barrique Fermented Chardonnay 2020 NZ
I preferred the refinement of the Brookfields, others like the punch of the Seifried chard…

7 Likes
4 Likes

Hi Eoin, brilliant write ups as always. Just thought I would mention that the Croft Pink Port has been around since the early 2000’s. I remember being involved in it’s initial launch, when I was still in the trade. Take care.

4 Likes

Thanks Alan.

1 Like