Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

You’ve seen Zulu then?

1 Like

He was a great actor. I love his role and n CBGB :+1:

1 Like

Sounds like a lot of fun Rod and very glad you persuaded a 2020 Roulot to open up (relatively) quickly. Whetting my appetite for Friday’s Burgundy themed lunch at La Trompette on Friday though nothing as expensive as the Roulot though a 99 Fourrier Clos St Jacques would probably be as eye watering.

We also have a trip to Hawksmoor coming up next month with the 04 Las Cases and a couple other Leovilles - will share later for the claret lovers on this forum.

3 Likes

I can see it at a U.K. a merchant for £889 duty paid, reminding me again why I stopped drinking high end Burgundy.

4 Likes

Which is why I like going to lunches and sharing interesting bottles with like minded company. The friend sharing the Fourrier bought it for a very modest amount 20 or so years ago and is bringing it along. He is also bringing a couple of Leovilles to our Bordeaux lunch at Hawksmoor. I have a Pichon Lalande to contribute as no Leovilles in my cellar.

4 Likes

I’m not sure that I can afford low end Burgundy these days!

4 Likes

Back in the ‘90s I felt Bordeaux prices had got too high and there was a run of not particularly exciting vintages, so I moved my buying largely to Burgundy which hadn’t had the price explosion at that time.
During lockdown I catalogued my cellar contents, I had 48 bottles of PC/GC Burgundy from ‘93-‘01, their market value from winesearcher was comfortably over half of the total value of the 450 bottles in the cellar. (9 bottles made up over 25%.) I’m sure that when those 48 have gone I’ll never drink Roumier, De Vogüé, d’Angerville again, and any Jadots I drink won’t be from the walled vineyard of the Abbaye de Bèze in the field of the farmer Bertin.

2 Likes

Watching an Apple TV series called Drops of God — interesting. Enjoying it but different. Nice, not complex, white burgundy — honey dew and pear. Paired well with a chicken and Montgomery cheese Caesar salad with Buffalo hot sauce (I tend to put Tabasco in my Caesar salad — don’t knock it till you try it :grinning:)

8 Likes

No, I haven’t. I’ll look it up.
Thanks Ian.

I’ve got a magnum of that wine. Please let us know how it is going

2 Likes

And you could send me your address :grin:

3 Likes

Dinner at Hinds Head in Bray and the food was excellent. The semillon was great with my smoked salmon. A really good acidic streak with lime notes cut through the texture of the fish beautifully.

The Duhart Milon is also a beautiful thing - very approachable and appealing. No Pauillac austerity. Probably still early in its drinking window (as was theTyrell’s) but with a short decant excellent with the Hereford beef. Next stop Burgundy.

10 Likes

My last bottle of this Trittenheimer Mosel. 10 years old but with a summery pale straw colour, still with some acidity but not much fruit, although it has Riesling thing that I can’t pinpoint but I like.

7 Likes

It was a cracking Burgundy lunch yesterday with some delicious wines and no duds, some great dishes and good company.

The fizz was served with an oyster canapé which was a match made in heaven. The whites all showed very well maybe the Gagnard just shading it and from the reds the Fourrier was a real standout and so pleased it was shared with us.

14 Likes

A lovely lineup and a great sounding menu, duck and Pinot is a match made in heaven. I’d imagine the 2005 Mugnier was spectacular as well, I always liked the vineyard under Faiveley and the couple of Mugniers I tasted (before the price explosion) were a step up again.

1 Like

The Mugnier would have been tops but for the Fourrier. A dream line up and with no disappointments too, a day to remember

2 Likes

This is really lovely, a blend by the Hugel family as part of the Wine Society’s 150 years celebration series. It’s a blend of muscat, reisling, pinot gris and gewürztraminer, and just right for a summer evening in the garden. If you are a member it’s well worth getting a bottle.

11 Likes

It’s a cracker isn’t it? Not sure I have ever had a duff Hugel tbf. We tried a bottle and it was very enjoyable even so relatively young. Should maybe get a couple for a few years time.

2 Likes

Far more to enjoy in the Tour de France than in the football. What an amazing stage into Bologna and a French winner for second day running. This is a village level Pinot noir from Vincent Pinard but very enjoyable. 2016 vintage seems to be opening out well in the Loire.

8 Likes

Baron de Ley Rioja Riserva 2019. Given this by a friend and widely available, I think. Really enjoyed it

7 Likes