Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Had this last night with steak. Made by the Zin expert Joel Peterson, formerly of Ravenswood, ‘No wimpy wines’. Deep colour still, leathery warm fruit on the nose, full bodied and plump warm fruit in the mouth, long and satisfying.

10 Likes

Friends over for lunch yesterday. Clos de Rougement 2022 Vouvray from Vigneau-Chevreau followed by the 2016 Vina Ardanza from La Rioja Alta. Both excellent wines

10 Likes

Oooh, Viña Ardanza!

1 Like

Finishing a bottle from the weekend catching up on the weekend FT. Pic suggests it’s a nice summer evening but those in London know that it’s still pretty cool. Sweater and a blanket, but at least it’s dry. Rumour has it summer arrives Friday. We’ll see.

13 Likes

We are celebrating my partner’s birthday, starting with oysters and Chablis :grinning:

(She’s behind the camera!)

17 Likes

Great choice and best wishes :blush:

1 Like

That looks fun. Have a lovely day.

This is on offer at Waitrose, perfect on a warm sunny evening, which this year we have sadly had very few of.

7 Likes

Congrats and a great combo.

1 Like

I was looking for a half bottle of the 2010 but could not find one. This came to hand, but we agreed it needed some more cellar time. Nevertheless, a very pleasant accompaniment to Stroud’s version of an Eton mess at a local farm feast.
As an aside, biodynamic trout had been served earlier in the meal. A first, but I struggle to understand the concept. It was tasty though.

8 Likes

Yes, I don’t quite get that either. I know biodynamic winemaking very well, as per winemakers like Michele Chapoutier, but maybe someone here hasn’t explanation.

1 Like

Lovely Barossa Shiraz had the other night.
Made the top of Cuisine’s Shiraz Tasting.

5 Likes

Pretty good for under £8 at Aldi, started finishing off a bottle of what I’d opened last night - taking advantage of the eventual nice weather in the garden:

Mrs AC may have to drop me off to the social tennis session this evening!

2 Likes

Is this an Aldi badged clone of what you posted some time ago?

3 Likes

2 Likes

To continue a theme it could be a Colin The Caterpillar type scandal!

Nearly picked one up the other day to try.

1 Like

The Porta 6 is quite a nice wine for the price. I first tried it about 5 or 6 years ago and have had it more than a few times since.
However, I generally prefer to o drink a better quality wine these days. I keep an eye out for classic wines from good producers and when it goes on sale, I’ll buy a case.

When M. Capoutier’s Les Vigne de Bila-haut Cotes du Roussillon Village 2020 went on sale here, I bought 3 cases and am down to a case and a half. He rarely fines and filters his wines so even at 3 and 4 years I have o carafe it off the sediment … but what exceptional flavour, fruit and body for the price.
It cost mybe $2 more than the Porta 6, but I is easily twice the quality. Amazing value.
Highly recommend.

3 Likes

I suspect high end wines are like high end audio equipment, subject to the law of diminishing returns

Best wishes

Ian

4 Likes

Cooked a roast for Sunday lunch and we drank another 2012 Wynns “The Siding” Cabernet. Now down to the last few bottles of the last case. Holding up surprisingly well considering it’s not the usual black label.

12 Likes

Heading off to Canada soon (to Alberta and B.C.) The restaurant in one of our hotels along the way features wines from the Pacific Northwest.
Any recommendations for that region or for Canadian wines in general?

Yes it does hold up well Richard - amazing really considering age and not rated as one of their top drops

A really good vintage that one :+1: