Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Thanks very much David. The Vajra barolos are not too expensive compared some other more famous producers and the Ravera is a 96 pointer at around $80 Canadian. But best of luck with your government run wine outlets getting any.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Eoin. I had to work today but enjoying a nice Morgan Beaujolais tonight.

2 Likes

The Ontario liquor laws are woefully archaic. You guys really wouldn’t believe the sh*t we put up with here on things like this. They treat us like children and I don’t know why. Wherever and whenever liquor is sold here, they would still get all the taxes owing.
Our brave Ontario Premier is currently taking on the Liquor Control Board which has caused the strike, but he’s not backing down and his actions will be the first step in actually opening up our liquor laws a bit. Still a long way to go though before our liquor laws or anything like the rest of the world, excluding the middle East of course. But this is beginning to sound a tad political, so I’ll stop trying to explain it.

1 Like

Visited my dad (91) and his wife in St Catharines Ontario last weekend. Cooked dinner (lamb rack) and had a burgundy that I brought and then one of their Portuguese reds (it was very nice, cool label and story). Went next day to LCBO to get them a couple of bottles to stock them back up and arrived to locked doors. The strike will only further turn everyone against the monopoly.

12 Likes

I hope you enjoyed it! I will certainly be buying some more. Initial thought that it was a’bit cheap for Bandol’ was squashed but the wine itself - exactly what I want from a summer rosé.

Yes, I agree Peter.
Nice Burgundy, and I’m a fan of the Portuguese reds as well. Porto 6 and the like. They’re very good value.
The Union is just trying to prevent us from be able to get alcohol from anywhere but them. It’s absurd and very culturally backwards.

3 Likes

It has even come to the attention of Jancis Robinson on the Purple Pages. She suggested it should increase purchases from the cellar door.

2 Likes

Thanks Quickben. Just read the article. It’s a great idea. Good for her. I’ve mused about a semi-retirement idea of launching a Lay & Wheeler type of sales model for wine in Canada. Perhaps time for a “David1111 & PistolPete Fine Wine” retail wine venture.

3 Likes

“How do you make a small fortune in the wine business?”

“Start with a large one.”

5 Likes

Rod_Smith: :rofl: The voice of reason!!!

1 Like

Pretty much the story for most of the wine trade I would guess.

1 Like

Coming home from friends’ wedding yesterday I opened this; the first from this vintage for me. It was most an enjoyable accompaniment to a white bean salad, but I can’t recall why.

7 Likes

Hmmm … dat could woik …

2 Likes

We enjoyed it very much …great value for a Bandol.
Will collect a few more when supermarket shopping .
Regards

1 Like

Very nice SB from Marlborough; fruity and quite dry, good value, went well with grilled pikeperch (walleye).

6 Likes

The Stephane Ogier wines are very enjoyable. I don’t have any Rosine left but have some 2016 Mon Villages and Reserve in storage.

1 Like

Tonight’s meal is a pork, lamb and turkey mince ragu but it came close to being a pigeon ragu.

3 Likes

We had our version of a pitch invasion today. Some Saturday excitement. And back to wine. Pre-ragu enjoyed a brief moment of London sunshine with two new world chards. The Circe beat the Rhys and is 40% cheaper. It also has a special place in my heart. Rode a road bike from the Westin in downtown Melbourne down the Mornington Peninsula about 8 years ago, turning around just past this winery. The Monteraponi is on deck with the meal.

4 Likes

When in Switzerland…

8 Likes

Henri Giraud Dame Jane Rose Champagne had over the weekend.
Lovely complexity compared to others etc

5 Likes