Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

I’m quite keen on it, specially the vendanges tardives, but many people don’t like it. I often have a bottle in the fridge for an after dinner dessert glass.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem like a wine (or at least my one) that goes with food. Definitely the strangest wine I’ve drunk.

I’ve been inactive for a while so here are the main highlights of the last few weeks drinking:

By usual reckoning, this should have been a bit over the hill, but it wasn’t. Very lovely.

There were/are strong rumors that this was declassified Yquem. I don’t know as I do not have a bottle of 2010 Yquem to test side by side, but this was quite splendid. The Yquem that I have had were more complex than this one, but there again they were older. I think I have 1 bottle left - maybe I’ll try source a 2010 Yquem and see for myself.

Sorry about the pic - one of my favorite white burgundies. Certainly a top notch white 1er Cru. Strong powerful wine.

I tasted that while attending a 67 PM webinar with the producer. She described opening this bottle as “killing a baby” and in her opinion, this vintage is good for 100 years. It was still purple in colour, but no aggression in the mouth whatsoever. Beautifully integrated tannins, lovely fruit. I’m leaving the rest of the case on the side and starting on the 2006s instead.

This one was fantastic. I like my wines mature - a big fan of secondary and tertiary flavours. I’m not too keen when they’re in the fruit bomb stage (with too many of those going from fruit bomb to total collapse). Of course, the more you keep the bottle, the more you’re dicing with having to pour it down the sink. I’m fortunate that I’ve had very few such disasters in my drinking life. This bottle was absolutely perfect - a total knockout. You can figure out from the BBR celebratory sticker when I bought that bottle :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The last one looks very interesting.

Château Haut Bailly was the property whose label Orlando/Gramps ripped off for their ‘Jacobs Creek Claret’.

(Both properties deny this.)

2 Likes

Started this last night just enjoying a glass before dinner.

3 Likes

The ladies drank this yesterday while us gents drank ale. It was accompanied by cold meats and cheese.

2 Likes

IGT Chianti - Sangiovese/Merlot/CS. Very good. Fresh, complex. From Tanners.

5 Likes

St Damien Gigondas 2015 “La Louisiane”
Absolutely delicious Grenache Mourvèdre blend.
Lovely palate of black raspberries, undergrowth, spice and a creamy long persistence. Very smooth.

8 Likes

A leisurely lunch yesterday saw consumed: NZ Pinot Gris (2016), Haut-Medoc (2010), mea culpa it was a NZ Nobel Hunter Late Harvest Chardonnay (1987), and Warre’s 1985 port.
This was shared amongst four … I’m a little jaded today.
I should say it was to celebrate two ladies reaching 65.

4 Likes

That sound like a fine lunch. What is the late bottled Chardonnay? That’s new to me.

1 Like

Now you have me thinking … what was it my good lady brought along? I’ll have to check.

1 Like

Oh, and Happy Birthday to your good lady and her friend.

1 Like

Thank you…
It’s always a good gathering; the men are Capricorn’s and the ladies‘ Gemini. Not that I take much notice of such things but it seems to ensure we all get on.

1 Like

Glad you had a nice time…gets one spirits up.

1 Like

Thanks, and although I have tried to introduce them to the merits of Naim, they prefer B&O! It was a convenience thing …

1 Like

It was new to me too. Our hostess is a Kiwi so it was drank in her honour.

1 Like

Montgras Reserva Carmenere 2018, from Chile. You will often find me griping here of wines out of balance. This is not one of them. Fruit, acid, alcohol and tannin in harmony. Very enjoyable. I’ve just poured a second glass even though it’s a school night.

A happy pairing with a chicken and chorizo risotto.

3 Likes

I hope you enjoy them. Someone gave me a bottle of 25 year old Orkney Malt and living in the countryside and with the drink drive laws, I have always wanted to be able to open it with company .

It sits there

Choosing a Pierre Frick Gewürztraminer would certainly be brave as a blind date especially as it has been macerated on skins. For lovers of natural wines, Pierre Frick is highly regarded. Natural wines in general and orange wines in particular are very much like marmite in the responses they produce! Coincidentally I found a really interesting orange wine from the Granite Belt in QLD. Bent Road Wineries La Petite Mort VMR is Viognier, Marianne and roussanne, maceration and amphora matured - so if you did want to explore the orange wine world further, with something other than Gewürztraminer, there is one for you!

2 Likes