Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

It never tasted bad, it just looked and taste odd. I wasn’t expecting it. Also it just was horrible with the seafood (that was horrible too, but that’s another story).

I did try it the next day but at this stage it’s still a big no go for me.

Around a friends place for a beer, couldn’t convince him to open any of these.

9 Likes

I’ll take the Grange please, assume that was made by the late great Max Shubert AM? - not sure when Duval look over? may be @Rod_Smith knows

1 Like

Max retired in 1982, so he will have had a hand in it. John was made Chief Winemaker in 1986, but he had been there for a long time before that so he will also have been involved. Don Ditter was probably the actual winemaker.

By coincidence, I had 1980 Grange two years ago, and it was showing magnificently (must have been a good year, although old Australian vintages are not my forte knowledge-wise). The ullage is fine for a wine of 40 year’s age, but it is a bit low so the owner should look at opening (or recorking) pretty soon I reckon.

I cannot make out the vintages on the other two. Suspect the 389 could do with being drunk soonish if it’s a similar age. But St Hugo can last for ages - maybe even longer than Grange.

Looks like a good night in store whatever, Pete!!!

3 Likes

Great looking wines. He came around for dinner a few months ago and brought a 1984 bottle of Cab Sav.

1 Like

Would have been had he open any.

Nice selection there Pete, as you and I have discussed before, I happen to think Grange is the finest wine I have ever drunk.Was about to mention the ullage but I see Rod has covered that.Still, that might be a good reason to have your mate open it, we can’t have it deterioating now can we .

1 Like

Agreed I’ve offered to take all those old dusty bottles off his hands and replace them with some brand new ones

1 Like

Two friends coming round for a barbecue tonight (with appropriate social distancing!) and these are the wines. Champagne is Collard-Picard Cuvee Prestige which IMO is one of the great bargains of the champagne world. To be served with bruschetta of (allotment grown) broad bean and mint purée with ricotta and Parmesan. The Mas de Daumas Gassac is to go with barbecued butterflied leg of Kent saltmarsh lamb. I can’t tell you how excited I am to be entertaining guests

6 Likes

Don’t know the house, but Mas is a superb wine, enjoy the evening

I have my mum in law here in the bubble so something nice for this evening will post later

2 Likes

Self-styled Grand Cru of Languedoc with essentially a claret blend

4 Likes

I first bought Mas at London Wine trade fair, would of been in 1985/86 tasted with owner super, from memory there is also a superb estate next to it own by South Africa

Just done some reading up on Collard, enjoy not many houses use barrel for Vin Clair, did you get it from Swig?

I thought that was Broadbent, but after a quick Google it looks like he called it “The Lafite of the Midi”. It’s a fine value wine even now.

1 Like

Yes - from Swig ( who I think are brilliant and Robin is a great buyer). Met the maker of Collard last year at a tasting and he told me he only makes it to drink it but has some left over!

1 Like

2009 Mouchao
Wine from Wednesday’s virtual drinks with old friends. Very deep ruby colour, and a big nose to match. Lots of sweet dark red fruits with coffee and tobacco. The palate follows, it’s dominated by the very round and plush mouthfeel and the sweet cassis/cherry/plum fruit. Good acidity, complexity is added by some peppery spice, chocolate and tobacco tannins frame it. It is an enjoyable wine, well balanced but fruit and power dominated. To an old school palate like mine it could use a bit more tannin and a bit less fruit, but for people who love rich powerful wines it’s a fine example. Not sure it’ll get much more complex with age, but it’s got a good few years ahead of it.

2 Likes

In honour of HM’s official birthday, with a reduced trooping of the colour with the Welsh Guards at Windsor Castle, this Gigondas is a delight. Ok, I had forgotten, but I can’t resist a brass band. The wine still has a few years to run, but I enjoyed it much more than I did in August last year. It’s colour is very rich and it’s quite spicy on the nose. It’s tannins have mellowed, but there is still some spice. Despite the recommendation for lamb, I had it with a ribeye steak, server ‘bleu’.

http://www.closdescazaux.fr/vins.php

1 Like

Given @Rod_Smith’s comments about ullage, I thought I best check my remaining bottles. Bottom of neck maybe ok? If I remember correctly, I bought these for £26 each, at the end of the 1980s.

I do remember Bin 389 very well. During the 1980s I made my own wine, until I went to a wine tasting at Staple Inn in Holborn, London. Once I had sampled Bin 389, I never went back to making my own. They cost £7 a bottle back then, but I reckon it has been the most expensive wine for me, given the path it has sent me down!

7 Likes

That’s a great collection of Grange, think I’ve convinced my mate to open the Bin 389 next weekend.

2 Likes

Drinking well this weekend. :+1:

1 Like

Those ullage levels look fine to me! What a lovely thing to have to look forward to!