Who has a NAP V145

I keep my eye open for one, although I am happy with my Axess. I have this on a turntable wall shelf beneath my TV. I fear the Axent might rip it off the wall!

2 Likes

I have a 145 driving an axent - sound pretty good to me.

5 Likes

I have had no time yet, I only watched 2 or 3 movies but in the next 20 days I have a lot, lot to watch as I rented more than 15 movies on ATV and received/ordered 7 4K BDs.

I would say that it is much better, really better.
The problem is that there is not much direct sound on the rears when it is calibrated correctly. It seams to have a better and more coherent “bubble” effect.
I shut down front and center and there’s almost a “stage” on the rears, it truly offers a deeper sound but I use no Sub and all my speakers are set to Large on the AV2.
It is probable that I have to change the orientation of my rear speakers to go on, as it projects the “stage” of the rear speakers in front of me when front and center are off which was not the case with the 200 ?

Is it really worth the price difference with a NAP200 on the rears, that’s still the question.

1 Like

Crikey - that’s what I call committed! :astonished::sunglasses::+1:t5:

1 Like

Hi Trev,

I fear that the world has moved on and it is time you did as well. For a minimal fee and petrol and will come and remove the offending items from your house.

…please have the good grace NOT to read what I wrote above, I was humouring Richard.

M

1 Like

Surely it is a blessed 145 & Axent

1 Like

Hi Richard

I was fortunate in that I believe I had the last Axent from the factory.

As the vast amount of info comes through the centre speaker, I tought I would concentrate on this.

I have recently had my 145 serviced, sound great and packs a fair old punch.

If I ever decide to “move on” I will bear you in mind.

Trev

5 Likes

And I also compare the numeric input VS the analog inputs of the AV2 (5.0 with flashbacksales premium cables on panasonic UB9000 player).

I am watching the 4K BD Midway movie and have to make a pose as the image is horrible for a 4K blu-ray disk in every way : video-noise, color, white over-exposition, etc but there’s a very heavy sound.

Hard to compare Dolby Atmos decoded → AV2 VS Dolby Digital Core decoded by the AV2 because the sound mixing is very very different. Atmos is more precise but DD is more bubble may be due to the fact that I have no sub so the sound sent from the BD player is a bit on higher frequencies.

Since I have the 250 DR, I experienced the same thing with the DVD5 as my main CD player. It’s very precise but lacks bass (my chair vibrates but I hear nothing), the bass guitar is covered. It is very detailed, foot tap is awesome but there’s some kind of disequilibrium.
Thinking about it and listing to “analog” Atmos sound I guess that I got to the limits of the analog inputs of the AV2 ?

Back to the Midway …

2 Likes

Hi Trev. Well done getting the last Axent to leave the factory.

How would you describe the improvements after getting your 145 serviced? I bought mine used at least 10 years ago so it could be 12-13 years old now at least and though it sounds fine to me was there anything you could detect that made you think it was ready to be serviced?

Cheers, Rack.

Hi Rack

My 145 had not been used for some time and was c12 years old, so I had it serviced as a matter of course.

As you probably know, Naim state c10 years for non 500 series kit re servicing. The cost was not excessive, a price I was prepared to pay for another 10 years service. As 65% ish of the sound comes through the cebtre speaker, I like to make sure it is as good as can be,

Upon return, the 145 sounds great even using an AV2 processor.

Hopr this helps

Trev

3 Likes

Hi,

So I’ve watched a lot of 4K movies since. I still own my previous 200 and gonna sell it and keep the 250.2.
250.2 on the rears is awesome. I have some 2 ways (only) columns speakers but the same “family” of all my speakers … BUT NO SUB because I have neighbours.
I don’t know if a sub would change what I’ve listened to ? My room is pretty small and my neighbours pretty close …

Try to listen to the very bad movie Monster Hunter but with an incredible Dolby Atmos (DD on our AV2) … it is so insane that I had to pause.
Tonight I was watching a 4K US import “Deepwater Horizon”, the choppers on the left of the screen at the beginning of the movie sounds fantastic from rears to front, the sounds are “full” from rears to front.
On some movies I had to stop the movie : “what’s that noise behind me” … but it is in the movie.
Impressive.

I remember when I first bought the AV2 + Nap V175 already having a NAC 112 + NAP 150 and that was so very coherent.
I do stay on the path thinking that with home-cinema speakers and amps need to be the same on “every corners”.

By the way, I have a problem with the DVD5 + AV2 + 250DR listening to CDs as it has no bass ???
Very strange, homecinema is over blowing but CDs are poor with bass, poorer than with the 250.2.
I don’t understand why ?

… and I killed one of my AV2 (I had 2 just in case … so used to AV2 breakdowns) right after changing a coaxial cable the I bought : Wireworld Gold Starlight 7 cable. Fabulous cable on the 2nd AV2 replacing a Chord Pro-dac.

I got a “new” Naim DC1 arriving at the end of june from england brought back by my sister, I hope that it won’t kill my last AV2 …

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @Karyboue

Seems like the NAP 250.2 is a very good upgrade on the 200 in the same way I found the 200 improved on a NAP 150.

Thanks again for going to all that trouble and and a detailed review.

Cheers, Rack.

:+1:t5:

Just had my spare AV2 serviced at Naim

2 Likes

Hi @Dickluxor.

Was there a problem with your AV2 or was it just to be on the safe side? Any uplift in sound quality if you’ve been able to try it out? Also wondering what parts needed serving if the service sheet shows?

Sorry for all the questions! :smiley:

Cheers, Rack.

:+1:t5:

Was working fine but thought I’d get it serviced.
Service sweet, Replaced reservoir caps, tants & undated firmware.
They also replaced the control pot as damaged in the post!!
Sounded a little clearer but as AV always playing loud.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I really need to look out for a spare and get mine serviced at some point. It’s a great bit of kit and obviously need looking after as they’re no longer available new.

Sorry to hear yours was damaged in the post though.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.