Who is your favourite violinist and why?

I am very much impressed by this couple’s performance.

It sounds like :smiley: I have only touched the surface with violinists, more enjoyment to be had.

Warm regards,

Mitch in Oz.

1 Like

So many to choose from, definitely Heifitz and Stephane Grapelli, the latter makes me think of Menuhin.
Darryl Way as an off the wall choice, there is more to him than Curved Air.
Jean luc Ponty might have been a live performance choice.
I’m definitely also going to go for Thomas Gould, a classical player first, but then he also plays in the Man Overboard quintet. His ability to to convey the sheer joy of music performing live makes him worth seeing.

2 Likes

Dear Catswhiskers,

My local LP/CD shop, a two-hour drive each way, has a Menuhin CD on sale. I may have to purchase it and have a listen. Thankfully, they have an online store.

Yehudi Menuhin - Bach: Violin Concertos

Features: • Mastered from the Original Analogue EMI Master Tapes! • Superior Audiophile XRCD24 • XRCD24 is a standard “Red Book” CD and can be enjoyed on any CD player.

Warm regards,

Mitch in Oz.

I hope you enjoy. I know there are marmite opinions about him, he was the first player that I remember people arguing about. He stood out because of his connections with Bath Festival Orchestra who I had been taken to see as a child.
I think its a bit like the arguments about Julian Bream and John Williams as guitar players.
The mention I made above was because of his recordinfs with Stephane Grapelli.

1 Like

No Oistrakh fans?

2 Likes

Yes. :grin:

3 Likes

Yehudi Menuhin is possibly most famous for his recording of the Elgar Violin Concerto made in 1932 when he was 16. I think it is the only recording with the composer conducting. But many feel that he never quite lived up to that early promise.

For me, perhaps his greatest contribution to music was establishing the Yehudi Menuhin School for musically gifted youngsters (not just violinists). Amongst those listed above, Nicola Benedetti, Alina Ibragimova and Tasmin Little are all alumni of the school.

Roger

2 Likes

Karajan often gets a bad press, but he nurtured Anne Sophie Mutter from a very young age. Her first record with him ( some of the Mozart Violin Concertos) was made for DGG when she was just thirteen years old.

1 Like

Yehudi Menuhin is a strange case. His recording of the Elgar Violin Concerto, made at Abbey Road with Elgar himself conducting (in around 1932,) showed a flawless technique. But that technical facility didn’t last as he moved into his adult years and beyond, sadly.

1 Like

And IMO that version yields to the even earlier album with Albert Sammons as soloist and Henry Wood as conductor. Arguably the finest version ever if one can tolerate the ancient recording.

Roger

Old school : Arthur Grumiaux
New school : Lisa Batiashvili

1 Like

Alfredo Campoli. So lyrical and ‘Bel Canto’ in his playing.

G

Tasmin was an understated gem. No pyrotechnics, just always flawless and in the service of the music. Best seen live as you say Roger.
I had the amazing good fortune to snag a ticket to see her perform:

Brahms Sonatensatz in C minor Op posth
Arvo Pärt Fratres
Prokofiev Violin Sonata in D major Op 94a No 2
Beethoven Violin Sonata Op 47 No 9 ‘Kreuzer’
with Tasmin Little (violin), Andrey Gugnin (Piano)

In All Saints church just outside Okehampton as part of the Two Moors Festival in 2017.
I’d heard about the concert very late so was surprised I got in. The ticket was quite clearly a recycled late cancellation as it was in the front left pew!

The blue rain jacket on the right marks my seat.

She stood 5ft from me throughout, the soundboard of her Violin felt like it was touching distance away. An unrepeatable experience to see a master Violinist at work at such close quarters. Surely the highlight of my concert going experiences.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.