Why do my Focal Utopia and Spendor A4 speakers sound different?

How happy are you with the A4’s?

@stavrose i like them a lot. You have to crank up the volume on the SN3 to about 10 to get them going. I like the tonal balance and the overall SQ. My dealer would like me to get better speakers. However the chief advantage of the A4 are they work well in our room and don’t interfere with our NYC skyline view as they are not very tall. I have a long history of speakers who have worked poorly in our challenging space. Life is a compromise.

3 Likes

Well I don’t know your headphones but otherwise that’s looks a nicely balanced system.

Do you think they are “better” speakers

@PerF the ones he recommends are taller and eoujd impead our skyline view.

@LindsayM With the upgrade to the NDX2 and XPSDR, I feel my system is more balanced and more musical. Detail that was glossed over with the ND5XS2 is more easily revealed. I like my Utopia headphones with the Cardas Clear Beyond cable into my SN3. A better headphone amp might be prudent, but is not possible. Because I have multiple sources it is far easier to use the amp in the SN3. More important is that I have no more shelf space for another component.

Put them on their sides?
During a temporary stay between homes I once used my first proper speakers, IMF TLS50s, on their sides on top of wardrobes. A bit high, but given the room the sound wasn’t bad at all.