Why does Naim neglect its Uniti Core?

I didn’t exactly know that…!
I knew that when the Core was released, it couldn’t even read its predecessor’s (US, HDX, NS01 etc) libraries/files, with months going by before a patch was released……

I guess the writing was on the wall even then….

As you say, unfathomable…! :roll_eyes::man_shrugging::disappointed:

SC

Said it before and will say it again. don’t purchase PC hardware from hifi manufacturers they will let you down time and time again.

Get a server to be a server, lots of choice out there at a fraction of the price. The argument of ease of use is spurious because the end user still has to do other things to make it do what its supposed to do or live with what it does not do.

6 Likes

I sure wish I had known that owners of the Uniti Core were queried. I would have had lots to say!

New server would be not a bad idea for Naim to compete with Innuos

Can anybody direct me to the specifications of the Core?

What CPU it uses?

Thank you.

1 Like

I think that is what is so frustrating! The foundation is there to add additional metadata capability. How hard is it to add additional metadata options. I know that would be dead easy to do. Why, then, not do it???

I’d like the Uniti Core to be more than a server. I’d like it to be a server/streamer. I know that’d be harder, but I believe that is also almost entirely software. I say almost because I don’t know whether there are hardware considerations that limit this possibility.

It was designed to be a server though. As Naim make streamers with built in DACs, there wouldn’t be much point in making the Core also a streamer, as it would then be a streamer for steamer in the Naim eco system. Or have I missed something?

2 Likes

Not at all Mike

100% agree with you - it’s a server full stop.

No point in trying to make it into something more complicated than what was intended

If someone wants a streamer go buy one

1 Like

My understanding is that it is a player (“transport”) as well as server, as it includes a rendered out put that can be connected direct to a DAC, albeit that many users seem to prefer to use ethernet to a streamer.

This is from Naim, stating it is a server only.

UNITI CORE
Music Server
Uniti Core is an exceptional music management system that offers the ultimate music listening experience. With its advanced features, you can make high-quality copies of your favorite CDs and stream them seamlessly along with your digital music collection to any music player within your home. Whether you are an audiophile or a casual listener, Uniti Core ensures that you enjoy your music in the best possible quality. Its intuitive interface makes it easy to rip, catalogue, and organize your music collection, providing you with a hassle-free music management experience.

Streaming / Sources
** CD Formats :*
Audio CD (Red Book, CD and CD-R)
** CD Ripping :*
Create bit-perfect copies of your CDs, store them internally and play back (external DAC or digital input amplifier needed).

DG…

And that quote includes this:

So it is a player as well as server.

It’s a music server. It also has a digital s/pdif output so can play locally into a suitable DAC.

1 Like

Exactly. It can do what streamers do, direct the playing of the internally stored music files. It doesn’t need a DAC because it passes the music files to a DAC. What would be so difficult to add streaming from online platforms like Internet Radio, etc. What else does a streamer do that the Uniti Core couldn’t be asked to do?

That said, if those extra functions overlap what other Naim products do, I suppose that’s the reason not to expect the Uniti Core to do more.

Please can we concentrate on the software development issues - the Core does not have the hardware functionality to be a streamer even if it can play WAV/Flac files to a DAC. The hardware required to stream from internet radio, Qobuz, etc etc is simply not present within the Core. Asking for such a development is going to be fruitless, so it is better ask for the possible.

From my perspective the prime enhancement of the functionality of the Core would be for Naim to subscribe to a more reliable database providing the metadata for each rip. Rovi seems to be the primary source and it is inadequate. I had another example yesterday where for another multi CD set, Rovi provided full data for the first disc and nothing for the next two. (I assume that there is some contractual relationship between Rovi and Naim but maybe that is not how it works. If that is the case could someone explain?)

Secondly, as others have said, the data fields and their inter-relationships need to be much more sophisticated, especially for managing a database of classical recordings. This is the area that requires software development.

7 Likes

@Richard.Dane

Yes correct Richard I’m currently using my Core with the nDAC and Nait 50

It’s a wonderful combination

1 Like

Not on its own, needs a suitable DAC or streamer, as stated.

DG…

@Echolane
I wholeheartedly agree with your observations and frustration.
I have, repeatedly over the years expressed the same comments as you.
As pointed out, it seems to be the software, not the hardware that lets the product down,
Personally, do I do not give a monkey’s toot, about it being able to stream radio or music services.
It was primarily designed and built as a music server. So let’s concentrate on the job in hand.
The Core from a hardware point of view, is a very good product, with some unique features i.e. easy user replacement of HDD/SSD.
However software, compared to other manufacturers, it’s a dog breakfast. I will not list all the idiosyncrasies of it’s operation, as these are well documented.
The really annoying point, is with the software given o substantial upgrade or start from scratch, it could be a lot better product. It would certainly give the user a better operational experience and increase sales.
I have asked Naim, to make a statement on the above, but the reply is quieter than a SSD. As pointed out by other forum members, Naim never reply in public.
However, the situation has gone on for such a long time now, that it deserves clarification.
So Naim, once and for all, let’s put this to bed.

4 Likes

I thought that in ripping the metadata is usually sourced from the CD itself, rather than a third party source - is that not the case with Core?

Multi disk recordings are often a problem, which sometimes may be different with different players. When ripping double or triple CDs with dBPoweramp I adjust metadata manually, effectively creating a single album with sequential track numbering.

Spot on.

Nail. Hammer. Head. Hit.

SC