Why have LPs had such a resurgence?

Absolutely. I used Velvia and Provia with my Contax, with Zeiss T* lenses.
I was an analogue nut.

The results I get from my digital Canon are better.

I was unaware there was one and if there is, it is indeed perplexing! Awful medium, compromised sound and short life. I only ever used for music in the car, apart from playing some demo releases by bands without a recording contract - good riddance as far as I was concerned once CD became available!

1 Like

I have a similar experience. I used to use Kodak K25, or K64 if I had to. They were fantastic films - the K25 was especially fine-grained, and the colour was more true-to-life than many others. Plus, the colour doesn’t degrade over time. I went through a period of using both film and digital, always finding the K25 to be finer grained than the digital I had at the time. Now, after many years of upgrades, I exclusively use digital (not just because Kodachrome is no longer available.
There are pluses and minuses. Film is always mushy in areas of constant (approximately) colour - e.g. blue sky. Digital always has spikey edges to things. I’m still not convinced that digital has more resolution than the best film, but on balance (colour, tone, range between dark and light) is much better. Plus you don’t have to carry several bodies for each film type you want to use. I used to use 6 and 12 ASA film for macrophotography and photomicrography, which was very fine-grained, rather contrasty and not suitable for general photography. I had to make sure I had used up a whole reel before using that body for anything else.
But - I have a slide of Berkeley Castle taken using Olympus’s then-best lens - the 35-80mm zoom, taken from a field next to the castle. I was quite a distance away - they whole castle and a bit more is in frame. You can zoom into the leaded windows on the slide, and the leading is quite clear. I’m fairly sure that digital, in most cases, still won’t do that.

1 Like

There’s even a Cassette Store Day

Even a band like The The are participating

And no, I don’t get it either, cassette is an awful format

Cassettes rule! I love 'em, and have several hundred. My Nak gets an outing at least once a week.

Cassette Culture #3/FACT 30: The Sex Pistols' "The Heyday" (TFRP No. 218)

I saw nothing whatsoever to like about cassette apart from the fact that it was a compact portable recordable medium, so one could make tapes for portable listening…

Could it just be because it’s an analogue sound?
Then again tapes should be resurgent too. Perhaps they are.

1 Like

The only advantage a cassette had over a CD was that a CD Walkman was a bulky thing, but the Minidisc and MP3 players solved that problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.