Why is this board so 'blokey'?

Doing different things. Women are quite different to men despite current attitudes.

6 Likes

Down that road lies perditionā€¦ :sunglasses:
Maybe works for a while, but then unexplained and unexpected consequences start to appear :grin:

Weā€™re all individuals

Interestingā€¦ Bloke - Wikipedia.

Possibly unrepentant, but never sinful. :grinning:

Hear, hear!

As a generalisation, men canā€™t manage for as long in cold water - something to do with inherent body insulationā€¦

And yet that theory falls apart when arguing over the thermostat. Invariably the ā€œinsulatedā€ one will complain that itā€™s cold while the other is about to keel over from heat stroke.

6 Likes

Or simply the insulation keeping the heat outā€¦ though probably more a matter of comfort, whereas with sea swimming, at least in some cooker parts if the world, it is more to do with ensuring survival.

Different people, different things? I have always taken dearly beloved to audition equipment, she used to be able to hear subtle differences, pick up distortion very easily. She cannot sing in tune or time, pick out a melody on a piano. A friend who is a flautist, has perfect pitch, can sit in a concert and recite chord sequences or key changes at the end of a piece, yet cannot hear vinyl mistracking or a radio off tune.

Only recently I visited the son of a friend, recently married, the kitchen has a whiteboard, divided in three, for to-do lists, his blue, hers pink, together greenā€¦

That is very old school and non contemporaryā€¦ :grinning:

Hmm!

Enough said?

Indeed. Pink used to be for boys. I saw it on QI.

I can imagine not many females may blanche at going on tour with a bunch of blokes from a bandā€¦

Tangential I realise, but some things have moved on.

I do go to the occasional air show and motor racing event, primarily for photo opps, plus once a year the annual photo show in Brum. I have noticed a marked increase in women/girls attending the latter, hazarding a guess perhaps four or five times the number I used to see.

And now the number of female togs I see at displays, motor sports events or even just outside in the landscape carrying round some very nice, envy inducing kit is way bigger than it used to be just a few years back, from essentially nil to now plenty.

However, not one of my female friends, colleagues, neighbours that I know of sits down and listens to music, many profess to like music and will have a radio or put Glasto on the telly, but none seem to just relax and listen to it. As a consequence, none of them have Hi-Fi or even a modern one box ā€˜solutionā€™.

2 Likes

Surely a problem that could be solved by having an all women band, but that is a rare thing indeed.

The problem is too many blokes think they have to behave like, or just do behave like ā€¦blokes. As a generalisation I prefer to the company of non-blokes. However other than the apparently* small number on this forum I, too, have never known any non-blokes into into hifi / listening to music at home.

*With the vast majority of forum members we donā€™t actually know: Most are of undisclosed gender, some have forum names or avatars that suggest a gender, mostly male (but some identify themselves as different gender from their forum name or avatar). But in fact unless we meet them in real life we actually have no idea whether any declarations they may make are true. For all I really know everyone here that I think is a bloke might not be, anx vice versa.

At least in the UK gender colour designation was believed first documented in 1861 that boys should wear blue in certain situations, and earlier in the Netherlands in 1823 that boys were signified by blue and girls pink. I also understand within the US there have been some contradictions in the the later 20th century, but generally considered overstated because of Paolettiā€™s original US studies on the matter.

Is it rare?

4 Likes

I always remember the first forum visit you hosted. I rolled up knowing the names, but not the people. Bit of a revelation that one of the ā€œgo to help peopleā€ was and still is a lovely lady.
Have a great day tomorrow.

2 Likes