Wifi booster/extender

Many thanks to those who have responded, the NAIM forum has risen to the challenge once again, which is more than I can say for the so called BT Community ! Will report back once the discs have arrived.

Paul

Switched everything to use the Deco as the router. All seems to be working solidly.

1 Like

to be honest its all pretty plug and play - there is not much to talk about with them - you just plug in - run the basic install app and go… the instructions are pretty straightforward. You might be thinking they are somewhat more complicated than they are to setup. Hopefully it will be straightforward for you…
The BT Community web pages has a thread on the discs https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/New-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi-Firmware-v1-02-11-build02/td-p/2005466/page/5

That’s interesting, I assumed it was the buffer causing me issues with my first gen Muso.

So I do get some sluggishness with the Naim App. Like when I open the Naim app on my Ipad Pro and the app lags and it takes a second or two to see my minim and asset servers in UPnP, or the Naim app playlist I made takes 20-30 seconds to load up all the tracks. Is this a result of my network?

I suspect unlikely, possibly more to do with the performance/responsiveness of the host your UPnP media server is running on.

hi paul - one tip… I was not getting the wifi i expected in my summer house despite a disc being only 12-15m away so i rotated it by 90 degrees and bingo, full bars.

This is interesting! What’s the best way to improve the orientation other than through trial and error?

trial and error i think - the signal strength on the app was helpful for the disc and the receiving device.

Indeed, more high end access points are published with field strength patterns, but as the BT system is plug and play and aimed at the consumer these are not provided unfortunately as far as I am aware.

Hi Simon, as BT don’t publish field strength plots, or at least none that I’ve found, I once played around with my old HH6 on a long ethernet in the garden & checked signal strength with a basic wireless strength app, probably as accurate as next weeks weather forecast, but it showed numbers & served its purpose. The first thing was I was impressed with the range out in the open garden area & quickly concluded that same impressive range is most severely restricted by internal walls. I wish I’d kept the data (most unlike me) but I do remember the signal strength I got thru two brick/block internal walls over 9m was the same as I got over 30m outside.

1 Like

if only they made HH6 waterproof!

1 Like

If only … ha-ha … but no need, I get all the coverage I need, including the ‘leisure’ area’s of the lawns & garden, from the SH2 inside the house; & without any extender discs I hasten to add.

Thanks to al who replied, some very useful tips. The BT Whole Hone discs arrived yesterday and indeed, pretty simple to set up. I had a minor panic when the app failed to “find” the third disc because of no coverage, but I guessed that this was probably irrelevant when connecting the discs by Ethernet. It all sorted itself out and I am very happy indeed. Renaming the new network with the same credentials as the old network is a great tip to avoid having to are set up a multitude of devices.

Small question - does anyone know if it’s possible to remove the metal stand for wall-mounting ? Have prodded and poked it but it seems fixed.

Cheers, Paul

1 Like

For those who know, how would this compare to my Airport Extreme? Would I get more range with just the one unit? Or would I need to do a mesh setup? It doesn’t have the additional ports so I figure I can use the extra 2960 8PT I have for the Apple TV and add the ciscos with my HIFI to it as well.

Long Range access points are typically designed for industrial outside use or large open space use like a warehouse… in an internal domestic environment you will nearly always be better off with a ‘mesh’ of cooperating low powered access points, than one single high powered one.
Remember wifi requires both radio transmitter ends to work, so having high power one end and low power the other end, is often not going to be that effective in the way you think it might.

1 Like

I used a Google mesh WiFi. Three pods, the master is connected to my TP link router covering front of house and surprising quite a distance into my front garden (20 metres or so) another (slave) on the landing and a third in our Orangery (again extending signal at least 20 metres into the garden). It’s another mesh system…I’ve used the Google WiFi app to check speed quality all over the house (260 square metres so a reasonable size) and it’s rock solid 50mbps everywhere (and that’s the speed we get through the wall). So if you want a great mesh system £299 gets you three pods (you may need only two depending on the size of your house!?)
I run my ND5XS off the WiFi and it’s rock solid. My Superuniti (bedroom system) I now run wired (as the house is networked) but did try wireless for a while, whilst waiting for a patch cable, and again it worked flawlessly.
So I highly recommend the Google mesh WiFi, not cheap granted but works brilliantly well :+1:

Noting @Simon-in-Suffolk comments below your post, we have 2 of these Unifi AP AC LR access points covering our house. They mesh together seamlessly (there’s a mesh option check box to tick) and have an incomparably better range & strength of signal than our old apple airport wifi that had died of old age at the time.

Both access points are connected via Cat6a cable back to a central ethernet switch and work fine. Initial set up via the Unifi control software took a little time but has been trouble free ever since.

Hope this helps, BF

1 Like

I use one of these on its own and it is perfect for my application. Basically I live in a 180 year old cottage with 3 foot thick stone walls. It has been extended so one of these walls goes down the middle of the house. My £50 Linksys router is fine for all the rooms on one side of the wall but struggles with the rooms on the other side. My laptop etc. can cope but the Muso QB has no chance - dropouts all the time.
I ran an ethernet cable round the wall and plugged in a single Unifi AP AC LR. It has completely solved the problem and I can also stream HD video on my laptop 100 metres away at the bottom of my garden. It was a pain to set up as I struggled to initially connect to it but once it’s installed it’s easy to manage. Highly recommended.

1 Like

I also liked the look of the Google mesh Wi-Fi system, however it has a serious flaw if you have gamers in the house using the Wi-Fi. It causes a double NAT issue when used with third party routers eg. Sky, where they have to be used. This is due to the google system taking over DHCP and routing. To get around this you have to run Google in AP/bridge mode and then only with one puck - so no mesh Wi-Fi.

Just a small warning to do the research before committing to this system. However it may be fine if this restriction isn’t important to you. Systems like the BT whole home can still provide a mesh Wi-Fi and work in AP mode and so are more versatile with ISP modem/routers.

Oh yes, absolutely in my opinion should avoid double NATing … can cause all sorts of application interoperability issues right now or waiting to trip you up later unless they are expecting to be used in a double NAT environment and most likely needing to use STUN messages… really no need for it in home networks… feels like a poor/ lazy design if it has to impose a double NAT.

Yes most wifi systems simply bridge to the subnet so underneath the covers regular ARP and/or NDP is all that is required… so I say strongly avoid any system that has to create a double NAT.