Wifi booster/extender

I should add thanks to Simon I am now the owner of a BT whole home system plugged into my sky router and all works perfectly around the house and halfway down the garden. Naim app still communicating with streamers and a much improved connectivity. Thanks Simon!

1 Like

i’m considering M5 as well – along with other alternatives, such as hard wiring to the conservatory (disadvantage – drilling at awkward placed involved!).

I suspect this question has already been answered and i’m just being slow. I have a virgin superhub 2 – which i use as a router right now – and i dont want to change this to modem mode.

can i achieve the same mesh functionality by plugging the first unit a port on my NetGear switch? will this work? I will also visit the tp-link website – been meaning to but other domestic issues have gotten in the way…

thanks guys…

enjoy/ken

The Deco stuff can be set to extend the current network rather than act as a router in itself. I’ve done this but I’m not sure about the performance. The wifi seems slower than it was previously. Could the performance of the wifi be poorer in extend mode vs. router mode?
I’ve got a couple of options to consider - move the router function to the Deco, or go back to my original set-up.

I would use the Deco in router mode rather than use it as an extender. It keeps things simple and throughput should be much better. The only issues with the Deco is that there is only one wired network port, but just add a switch to provide more if needed.

Ken - any reason why you don’t want to use the Virgin SH2 in modem mode ?

1 Like

Glad you got it working well, a good wlan system just works and you can take for granted no matter what you are using it for and by multiple users (within reason). You are appreciating hopefully now a well designed wireless system, rather than disparate access points and ‘extenders’ thrown together that may or may not be functioning correctly with each other underneath the covers and / or eating up your wireless bandwidth needlessly. Enjoy.

1 Like

After a but if a faff I’ve installed BT whole home mini with three discs… full strength in my garden room/ office now.

1 Like

I’m currently using a last generation Apple Airport Extreme with a last generation Airport Express in the bedroom extending my network. I started using the Airport Express to mesh into my Muso gen 1. I mostly use the Muso for multiroom from the SU and meshing into the Muso eliminated the drop outs I was getting. My coverage is fine, I’m the only one on the network and use a MBPro, Ipad Pro, and iphone XR. I also have an Apple TV on my network (plugged into the Airport Extreme). First of 2 Ciscos is plugged into the Airport Extreme. I have no coverage or wifi issues… I pull >100 MBS from any device on wifi. Everything just works fine.

Are there any SQ benefits to be had moving to a TP Link or Ubiquiti product? I’m of the mind set to leave it be since it works but the apple tech is old and maybe there’s some less than obvious benefits to be had.

If its working fine for you - and its only you on your WLAN I would leave it. Assuming you have no dropouts currently - there will be no main sound benefits to changing the wifi set up.
But its worth pointing out the last generation Apple devices are not really mesh devices.

Cool, thanks. I get occasional dropouts but I don’t think they’re related to my network that I can tell.

I didn’t know how to describe what I’m doing, I’m connecting the Muso by ethernet to an Airport express that is extending my network.

Out of interest why don’t you just connect your Muso to your wifi?

The Muso buffers on the wifi. Wiring into the apple express eliminated that.

Interesting… first gen Muso?

Yes. As I understand it the buffers were small on these.

WiFi Dog - have also just ordered the BT whole home discs, would very much appreciate your help if I get stuck during the installation. Getting any info out of BT is hopeless.

Cheers, Paul

The BT app guides you through the whole process but it really is plug and play. I had mine from box to up and running in under 15 minutes for a 3 disc setup. The only thing I would add to the BT instructions is to use the app to rename the SSID and password to your existing Wi-Fi network so that you don’t have to reconfigure all of your devices with new network details, and to switch off the Wi-Fi in your current router once it is up and running

1 Like

I would agree it’s very plug and play. Download the app on your phone and position the dishes around your house. I am not sure there is much more to it than that. If it’s any reassurance I am really not a techie in any way and I found the whole process very straightforward. Good luck.

And I should add that my connectivity and reliability for the Naim app has Now improved as well. No spinning wheels or streamer could not be found messages. Well so far…

I see, luckily I have no issue with my first gen Qb on wifi… works reliably every time… but I do have a part wired Ubiquiti mesh/ESSID system that is totally reliable, and band steers between 2.4and 5 Ghz bands depending on host capability and load balance… which perhaps helps my Qb always work reliably.

No problem! It’s quite simple out the main issue for me was finding plug sockets free in the rooms I wanted them. I ended up with the first one in the lounge which has to be connected to the router, one in dining room at back of house to get Wi-fi to end of garden and one above that in kids bedroom. I found the app a bit glitchy as it took a while to sync the discs but it’s all stable now

I’ve just ordered the same pack from the River to replace an old Airport Express .