Wifi /network connection problems

Yes the older products need to have wifi4 enabled. (803.11n)
There is no support for clients needed for meshing, and meshing is not related to wifi transport protocol.
As you can see this is also nothing to do with 2.4 or 5 GHz ISM bands either, wifi 4 supports both, wifi5 supports just the 5 GHz band, whereas wifi6 supports both.
In interoperability mode, a wifi access point allows the support of older transport protocols albeit at a cost of throughput.
Oh yes you probably want to ensure that WPA2 is selected and not WPA3 on your WiFi controller (authentication and encryption) where you have Naim devices on your network, and you have UPnP turned on.(which I think is default on the Orbi products)

For the record I use a Muso 1 and QB2 wirelessly in an Orbi RBK50 system. They have never had connectivity issues.

I have the Orbi RBK753 MESH system (ONT with BT FTTP) and have had no issues with my QB1 or Uniti Star. I would ensure the Orbi is firmware is updated (downloaded from their website) followed by a reset to factory defaults (then setup again) to ensure all is good.

The original Mu-sos only supported 802.11b/g, which I was shocked to discover when I tried to set my Qb up in 2017.

1 Like

Naim will tell you its because it ā€˜soundedā€™ better.

Naughty boy, Gary, but that did make me chuckle.

I too have an Orbi mesh network, and I also have 4 Naim streamers dotted around the house (NDX2, ND5 XS2, Atom HE, Muso QB).

I have stable periods of weeks where I can see them all on the app on my phone, but then sometimes some of them disappear.

I initially thought they were sometimes dropping off the network so I would resync the nearest WiFi endpoint.

What I found out though is the problem was my phone, not the Naim or Orbi. If I was in a part of the house or garden out of range of one of the Orbi satellites, the Naim kit connected to that satellite would disappear from the app. When I came back in range they often did not reappear in a timely fashion.

Turning WiFi off on my phone for a few seconds then back on again always resolves this for me.

2 Likes

Entilza, a very helpful suggestion. My guess is it is going to be something like a problem with the handset being temporarily off the network. Like you it is intermittent. This weekend ut has been fine all weekend. Thanks Craig

Exactly the same thing. Last time the devices dropped off the app, I checked the Orbi web interface and all Naim products were showing as connected. Same solution as yourself, wifi on/off on iPad or Android Phone and they all show in the app again. This fix works for me just fine now with minimal hassle.

Iā€™m pretty sure we havenā€™t updated the discovery functionality for many months.

We are very interested in network issues, however these discovery issues are very difficult to reproduce and fix. I assume you have tried using the ā€œNetwork Scanā€ feature (under help)? Admittedly it is rather light on detail and overly aggressive on the reporting of connection strength.

As for common issues weā€™ve found I believe these are some of the most common:

• Multiple DHCP servers on the same network.
  • The disabling of upnp/bonjour on the network hubs. (We are very dependent on these features).
  • Multiple WiFi bands - (device jumping between bands)ā€¦
  • Interference from neighbouring wifi networks.
  • IP Address leasing - you could try to give the device a fixed IP address?

I suggest the best route of action is to talk to our tech support team. support@naimaudio.com about these issues. Hopefully they will have more experience diagnosing network issues than us developers.
Though I (personally) do find it very interesting in seeing these issues posted here too, though I am not able to offer much advice on networking systems I have not had any experience with.

But also, we are continually asking customers who give us poor ratings around connectivity to contact tech support. But very very few do. Without us being able to collect more metrics on the issues customers are facing, we are powerless in diagnosing and fixing any underlying issues either with our devices or the type networking systems customers are using.

6 Likes

Eleanor, thank you for your response. Very helpful. There have been a number of helpful suggestions from the community on how to overcome my network connectivity problems. I have upated the firmware on my Orbi mesh system over the weekend. After overcoming nightmare of resyncing the Orbibmesh system my Muso has been connected all weekend. Maybe the new firmware will help. I also think there may be handset/controller connectivity issues. My house is about 3800sq ft. So large area to network. Good news 60% is on one floor. I will contact tech support if I require further help.

The biggest issue in the early days of the Naim streamers with SSDP was poor implementations of IGMP snooping by some consumer network product vendors. I believe you added support for all the 3 main IGMP versions to help hereā€¦ but that is what I would be looking at for a given product interoperability issue.

From the descriptions giveā€¦ specifically devices registered on the network, but not visible, and re appear when power cycled points very much to this.

As a follow up to this hereā€™s another reason we found which can cause issues:

• Managed switches not playing nicely with multicastā€¦
1 Like

Most managed or configurable switches that are from reputable vendors will clearly handle multicast groups well, as they will be capable of IGMP snooping, so they depend on the correct communication from the client in response to a group verifier message for the correct version of IGMP being used by the group participants.
Many cheap consumer oriented switches including some so called audiophile switches, donā€™t have this capability and effectively broadcast gratuitously multicast group data out on all ports - not good if wanting to isolate network traffic for max SQ etc , however they wonā€™t be monitoring multicast group protocol exchanges from clientsā€¦ so if there is an issue here with group management the simple switch will ignore it.
SSDP, UPnP device discovery, uses multicast group addressing

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.