WiiM Pro

The implementations on most platforms rely on Amazon’s older API as explained by Naim themselves in the “Amazon HD Streaming Issues” thread in this forum, and while they do support Amazon Music up to 24/192, they aren’t as feature rich as the Amazon Music app itself.

WiiM are the /only/ third party (at any price point) which uses the preferred MRM API stack (again as explained in that thread) which allows bit perfect casting from the Amazon Music app. Bluesound steadfastly refuse to use that alternative API, and I guess Naim, like other vendors, are still struggling to engage with Amazon on the use of the MRM API.

I use one for airplay when using a iPad watching YouTube and listening with headphones. I power it via an uptone audio JS-2 linear power supply into a luxman d-10x. Impressed is an understatement. Now with it being a roon endpoint, It gives my Innuos a good run for the money.

3 Likes

I did compare the Wiim Pro with a legacy Naim streamer. My setup is Wiim into SuperUniti by Toslink, I do not use the Wiim’s DAC. My result (in my room, my ears, my (Harbeth) speakers) is pretty straightforward. Streams from a local storage (in my case a UnitiServe) and from Tidal are definitively better using the SuperUniti’s streaming chip. It is crtainly not heaven and hell, but the soundstage is wider, dynamic range seems to be better. Heights are brighter. For example hi-hats sound more like hi-hats if you know what I mean… and all this with a >10years old streaming/amp technology.
Means for local music and Tidal I would not use the Wiim. BUT: it offers hi-res internet radio, and comparing these to the ones the SU can digest (all MP3 with max 320kb) is equally easy. So the little over €100 spend is justified.
What I’d also suggest Naim to do is have a look at the Tidal integration in the Wiim-app: so much better than in the Naim-app.
I also compared my setup to a Supernait/ND5XS2 combo, and this is indeed a much better package. But it would mean early retirement for my SU, plus an investment I need to convince the Mrs of.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I had the WiiM pro for a few days.
WiiM pro v my Allo Digione (just the regular one, not the signature) setup into Naim dac. The Wiim pro worked well enough and was very easy to use but my Allo was quite a bit better when it came to the music. I wanted to like it, but musically it was not as engaging as the Allo.
Joe

2 Likes

Hi Jo i have the Allo Digione signature and i all so came to the same conclusion the Wiim pro is good but not as good as the Allo and both feeding the same DAC, but it works for Amazon Music so my wife is happy (so that make’s me happy)

2 Likes

Joe and Raptor,
May I ask what streaming software player you run with the Rpi+Allo devices?
Thanks,
Andy

Hi ninekit i have been running Moode for about 2 years now and before that Volumio all so had a go with picoreplayer.

After getting over the moode set up (not the best) it has worked no problem and i like the DSP part of it.

I did an update one time and that was a bad move so i have now just left it well alone now.
I don’t do streaming services only radio and my local FAC form my NAS, my wife has Amazon music so i got a Wiim pro for that (happy wife happy life)

Has anyone compared the Wiim Pro as a network bridge/streaming transport with competitors such as the Eversolo DMP-A6 or iFi Zen Stream?

I am in a somewhat similar situation to OP. Looking for a steaming transport to feed digital signal to a Naim nDAC using Tidal (and perhaps NAS). Not yet convinced a ND5XS2 is good value for money.

1 Like

Good morning everyone!! I have the Wiim Pro connected via SPIDF to the Naim DAC, I got it after the advice of a friend; I also have ifi stream in the second system; on an exclusively sound level in my opinion ifi is slightly superior especially with an external power supply different from the standard one, wiim on the other hand is also excellent from a quality point of view as long as you don’t use its internal DAC and connect it to a decent power supply; from the point of view of use and software well… another league, the wiim is absolutely better, it has an exceptional application, I would compare it to bluos in terms of management, it never stops, never a lag and never a problem. Now, I don’t know what is preferable but ifi was in my main system but no longer. To the question if Naim makes better products I answer absolutely yes but in Italy the Naim streamer on the list costs 3200 euros the Wiim 161 euros… and yet I guarantee you that it feels good!!! It works with everything, tidal, roon, spotify, dlna apps, audirvana… all very fast. I connected it with a Naim DC1 cable to the Naim DAC which, despite being old, still does its job very well! Good afternoon!

5 Likes

Paradyso, I have translated your post. Please ensure that your posts are in the English language. There are free tools online such as Google Translate to help you here. Thanks.

4 Likes

A helpful post nonetheless.

5 Likes

Many thanks, Paradyso.

Can you please specify what external power supply you used to improve the Wiim Pro (and iFi Zen Stream)?

1 Like

Certainly! With Wiim Pro I use the P50 topping connected with a 30 cm USB/IF cable and I put a Klimo Labor Improved cable as the topping power cable, while ifi I put the ifi ipower x power supply. I hope I have been helpful, good afternoon.

2 Likes

I use a Primare ND5 Mk2/Ifi power supply into an Ndac, sounds very good to me.

No Dac in it, so you’re not paying for stuff you won’t be using.
Only SPdif output (Co-ax and optical) but the Ndac only has SPdif input.
Only does chromecast for tidal and Qobuz, so doesn’t do gapless, but I don’t find that a problem.
Costs under £500, so you won’t lose much if you decide to sell it on.

My take-away from all this, and from several other topics, is that when you have a Naim nDAC you can make any digital source sound good in a Naim system. But where does one find a nDAC these days?

1 Like

I’d temper that statement by saying the nDAC works best with a good digital signal.

We have now fed our nDAC with:

1. Raspberry Pi with digital hat via coax
  2. iPad via USB
  3. Sky Q via optical
  4. RPI or iPad vis SMSL PO100 Pro/coax
  5. NDX2 via coax

4 is very good for the cost, but 5 sounds best.

1 Like

I do think so, especially when it is for a XS-level system, and you don’t have/want/find a nDac, want the Naim sound/quality, can buy it used/demo, and compare price to streamer+dac+psu-upgrades.

1 Like

No surprise that NXD2 sounds better than other SPDIF/Toslink sources, because the clock source is at the device sending the data. However, a bit surprise that iPad via USB does not sound best because in this case, nDAC is the clock master (clock source), unless you are not playing hires lossless on the iPad?

I guess the Naim DAC-V1, which uses the Audiophilleo asynchronous-usb interface, would be the one making the most of usb sources - I remember it fondly (but then again I don’t have a nDAC).

2 Likes

Haven’t tried iPad via USB recently as it doesn’t support 24/192 on that input, which is why we have bought the SMSL as a workaround until Tidal max reaches naim firmware.