Will many of you be moving across from Tidal to Qobuz when it gets native integration shortly?

Thank you Jim for the links, enjoyed the readings!

1 Like

Yes as it would combine the benefits of downloading with reduced prices, high res streaming and integration of what you listen and potentially buy. As I am having a wide collection, the width of the streaming collection is less of a point, while I like the collection which Tidal offers.

Neither are available in any meaningful way in my country so it is moot point.

Will stay with tidal
Iā€™m happy with quality and catalogue mostly

Having had a couple of bad experiences with Qobuz, my intention is to stick with Tidal. The only thing that concerns me a little is that Tidal may end up with most or all of their material as MQA, with no regular 16/44 versions available, as the MQAs will still play on a non-MQA DAC. Iā€™m speculating here that a DAC optimised for 16/44 may not sound as good when fed MQAs, and vice versa. If this becomes an issue, I will certainly ditch Tidal, quite apart from their ā€œland grabā€ of royalties (as that bloke from Linn put it.)
At the moment, I use Tidal with the so-called ā€˜Mastersā€™ setting turned off, as Iā€™ve yet to hear anything to persuade me that itā€™s better.

2 Likes

Some clearly do want it - and their alternative approach may be the allure of [online] streaming for some people, but clearly not others, who just see it as a means to access a wider collection.

I must admit I am already finding that, thatā€™s why I kept Qobuz but unless you like the Ckassics/Jazz 24bit content is a bit thin.

I also use Roon and prefer Quobuz

1 Like

There is a lot thin, most 24bit is mostly 44.1 on the whole for what I listen to. Hardly class it as hires .

no, because i use neither of two

Happy with Tidal and until someone offers the same size catalogue at the same quality for less money I donā€™t envisage moving.

Iā€™ve found that 24 bit material is better than 16 regardless of the sampling rate.

2 Likes

if i had to choose for the sound, it would be Qobuz, for the hirez streaming.
For the catalog and nice app, it would be Tidal.

1 Like

Not sure, I get a veteran discount for Tidal that gets me down $12 US a month for master which I think is a more reasonable price. Not sure how much Qobuz is for the same in the US or how extensive their library is.

perhaps Amazon will be cheaper too?

1 Like

I think Naim should just jump on the MQA band wagon and he fleeced like everyone else in the chain.

Why, well they have left the native Qobuz so long, most have workarounds and even more have sided with Tidal.

Add to that MQA unfolds give very HiRes I think they are flogging a dead horse with Qobuz.

1 Like

Qobuz integration will give the new range of streamers even more appeal especially with Hires streaming as an option.

MQA is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

3 Likes

Agree but the SQ through unfolding is the highest resolution, i donā€™t buy into all the verified at studio crap.

Will Qobuz integration come to the Atom?

1 Like

Quobuz = no MQA = No Sale. MQA is clearly better to my ears. I migrated away from Naim for that reason. Perhaps some day they will off it as an optionā€“I am not holding my breath. Enjoying the MQA with 16,000 albums and nearly 200,000 tracks. Its enough for me. Besides a lot of new music is MQA encoded.

1 Like