Will ND555 have a outstanding performance with mcintosh gear?

Yes, agreed
All true legends and icon !

1 Like

Is Pat’s still in business? They used to carry a bunch of Naim stuff. I haven’t been to Vancouver since Covid. Sad

1 Like

I just googled it,
I haven’t been to this audio store yet. But they are still in business.
I bought my systems in hi fi centre.

I see pat’s got some naim stuffs equipments.
I will call them and check out what naim products do they have on demo .
Thanks for telling me about this store.

Which city you are in ?

1 Like

Seattle! Vancouver is my second city.

2 Likes

Haha that make sense; I have been to Seattle for many times before. Such a beautiful city , got all the mountains, ocean like Vancover , but in a bigger version.

Vancover, Seattle , San Francisco are my top 3 favorite cities in west America

3 Likes

Baja Canada, on our better days

2 Likes

I’ve always loved this and am not a fan at all of the new boring white Naim is moving to.

6 Likes

Yes, I love to look at this at night, so cool !!

7 Likes

not a fan at the new white light either

Shame you can’t try as its the only way, as once you have paid thousands for it, you will force yourself to agree its much better.
But lots of very good dacs to try at this price range and theses days even half the price of the nd555.
Not sure how your amp sounds, as in does it add anything, as it’s all about matching.
I didn’t get along with the nd555 over a nds, as I couldn’t see the improvement for the value, so went looking elsewhere, plus as for your dealer offering you a good trade in on your ndx2, ask yourself why?, but for sure when it comes to trading in the nd555, it will have lost far more than the ndx2 will ever lose.

2 Likes

I’d be wary of terms in internet fora like ‘much better’ and ‘wipes the floor with’ ‘night and day’ etc. we’re talking about what are in truth fairly small differences. Full credit if you have cash and that’s what you want to do but unless you have magic ears the differences between all of these things is pretty small.

An ND555 wil perform outstandingly with the Mcintosh, as will a NDX2. The difference I cost will pay for a lifetimes worth of concert tickets…

6 Likes

Thanks you for sharing your opinions and thoughs.
I read your posts before, you prefer DCS Rossini and Bortok sounds over ND555 right ?
I was thinking about between DCS Bortok and nd555, because I have headphones, and Brotok is a really good headphone amplifier from reviews.
I try to searched Bortok demo, but sadly I can’t find either DCS or ND555 demo in Vancouver.
The 2 stores who carry them sold all the demo models. because not much people want to buy them here. so they are not planing to bing more demos in.
All I can do it checking reviews online, plus adding my imaginations from my NDX2.
On the other hand I love the Naim app a lot, and I like the look of low key black boxes with cool green lights.

Thanks for reminding me the words use on internet.
From your experience, Which streamer will be a night and day difference compare to NDX2 ?

hahaha I like lifetimes worth of concert tickets part !
I will always have cash ready if there’s nice concerts near me. (not during covid of course)
What I really want to do is build up a system at home that can take me to concerts when I close my eyes.
If I have more savings, I’m planing to get 500 series in coming future or some similaer level of systems, I enjoy listing to musics much more then cars or other material things.
I work at home a lot, so i can listen to my system often.
Listening to music is my top one hobby for life, I will say a more close to necessities more then a hobby.

1 Like

Hi, it’s not that I didn’t like the nd555, it was more that I didn’t feel it did much more than the nds did and for the difference in price, it was poor value for money.
It’s true that I liked what the bartok did and even more so the rossini, they do sound different to the naim dacs and are more revealing I would say, this can be good or bad, depending on the rest of your system.
But as you like headphones then a bartok with the headphones amp is a great bit of kit, especially with the free update on the headphone amp and possibly free upgrade on the dac as well in the future.
Certainly worth a look at, along with others

3 Likes

You first need to define what you mean by NDX2. An XPS improves it considerably, and of course, NDX2/555 is ‘wipes the floor’ with the bare version. Then there are the DAC upgrades which provide another range of possibilities. I run mine with a Chord Dave (which also has a great headphone amp built in) and there are plenty of other options out there if you like using it as a digital front end.

3 Likes

Disagree, I find their looks annoying prominent, not for me.

If you like NDX2 ,you will not be disappointed with ND555/ps555. I have Nd555, previously I used NDS.

I have listened to dCS extensively as my friend own dCS Vivaldi One with Vivaldi master clock. I had also listened to Bartok and Rossini at the dealer many times. They sound smooth and great machine but different from ND555. I don’t necessary think that Rossini is better. They sounds different. I don’t think you will go wrong with either ND555 or dCS.
I prefer nd555/ps555 as I have fully Naim system. ND 555 is so natural and realistic, bass is articulated at least with my system.

If you are in Vancouver , please check out Soundroom in North Vancouver. I believe they have Rossini system on demo. I got all my Naim stuff from Hifi Centre. Both Soundroom and Hifi Centre are great to work with. I got my gear from them. For Naim system, I prefer to deal with HFC as HFC much more knowledgeable than other Naim dealer in Vancouver.

4 Likes

What’s revealing means in sounds ?

Thanks for sharing, I will keep looking if I can find a demo for bartok, if that’s possible i will test my headphones witj bartok, I will consider to have both naim and bartok in future for my second system for my home office and bedroom , so i can use bartok for one system and my headphones.
I always have musics on when I sleep, but my bed room is way to small for Amati , so I’m planning to keep the Amati in my home office. and get another system with a pair of smaller speakers for my bedroom in coming future.

Make sense
I have only compared the sounds between Lumin X1 with NDX2 before I bought my naim.
X1 was transparent, liquid and detailed, a lot of space between the instruments and players , but somehow it was kind of too much of space between the players for me , the instruments and the singer were performing like here and there,
I didn’t find the spirit as a band performing together.

What’s the sound difference between Chord david , DCS , Naim in your ears ?

I have no experience with DCS but to me the Chord has more resolution in a way that just seems to allow you to see further into the music. I can understand how some might see that as clinical, but for me it seems more accurate.
To be honest I could happily live with the NDX2, but only if powered by an XPS or 555, which is a lot of money and another shelf. You could say the same about NDX2/Dave, but what clinched the deal for me was that I discovered that I no longer needed a ÂŁ6.5k 3-box preamp as I could use Dave direct into a power amp. So for me it was partly a pragmatic decision based on maxing out sound quality without a big rack, as well as one based purely on sound quality.

2 Likes