Wireless earbud recommendations?

I’ve tried the Sennheiser and Cambridge and neither are as good for travelling as the Sony WF-1000XM3 for use when out and about with decent sq. Software is updated regularly for example when released there was no volume control on the buds which was fixed pretty quickly. I use with a Samsung phone mostly

I just got some Master and Dynamic MW07 plus and I’m enjoying them. They sound really good and have simple controls.

I opted to not go for earbuds as I was too scared of them falling out my ears and losing them. Instead I decided on the Sony WI-1000XM2 neckband earbuds. Sound pretty good with nice noise cancelling and nfc connection. They recently had an firmware upgrade and now have Sony 360 sound which is compatible with certain albums specially mixed on Tidal. Albums mixed in 360 sound a little spooky in my opinion…

I also bought some Nuraloop earbud neckband earphones. Bluetooth with optional cable to plug them into a 3.5mm socket. They were discounted on pre-order and looked like a bargain. But after 6 months I still haven’t taken them out the box to try them. Might give them a go tomorrow.

Hi Popeye,

I’ve used Jabra 65t and 75t and now have AirPods Pro. I’ve previously owned IEMs and have enjoyed the passive noise cancelling they provided, so was originally looking for something similar when first exploring wireless earbuds. I ended up with the Jabras at that time - original AirPods didn’t do it for me.

Having owned the Jabras, three attributes became important:

• comfort
  • Bluetooth connection
  • sound

The Jabras became tough to wear over a period of time - I would say no more than 50mins before ultimately needing to swap out.

Don’t underestimate the annoyance of reconnecting on Bluetooth. Can be a real pain.

Sound was so-so, but after a time I couldn’t avoid hearing a digital grain (granted part of that was probably Spotify at the time).

So now it’s AirPods Pro. Very light and a great fit, for me.

Don’t underestimate the value of the H1 chip in the AirPods Pro for rock solid Bluetooth connection and reconnection.

And the sound is surprisingly good for what they are and the noise canceling modes are useful. I find them very enjoyable for casual use all around, from music, phone calls, Zoom, out and about, etc. Recommended.

1 Like

Thanks all.

Doing a bit more reading and being an Apple user, I think I am going to go for the Apple Pro’s.

Another question for those of you that use buds, what do you stream at?
Do you just stream at 320kbps (MP3) or higher?

Cheers all.

Had the Cambridge Melomania 1’s a few weeks now, very comfortable and easy to use, sound great.

1more earbuds seem to tick a few boxes, wireless/also noise canceling. Reasonably priced as well

1 Like

Hi Popeye

I’m another Apple AirPods Pro user.
Normally sound quality is the thing which trumps everything but for ear buds it’s comfort. I’ve used a few different excellent in-ear buds which have become uncomfortable after 20 mins of use. The AirPods Pro I can use for hours without discomfort - they are really comfortable. The SQ nothing special but it’s good enough AND the benefit of having an iPhone also means their functionality is a big factor too.

I think you have made a good choice.

1GL

1 Like

For mobile casual use I used to rip at minimum 256kbps AAC or 320kbps MP3 (and still tended to prefer AAC). I’ve kept at that for streaming as a minimum, but the service will also play a part, in my experience. I ultimately ditched Spotify for casual use - once I heard the digital hash/grain I couldn’t un-hear it. Briefly flipped to Apple Music (the AAC stream, rumored to be 256kbps, with AirPods Pro = good for purpose in my book). Now with Qobuz (have not compared Qobuz 320 with Apple AAC).

1 Like

Also worth noting that you can buy replacement memory foam tips for the AirPod Pro, for a better seal and improved performance.

If you go for the Airpods Pro try to buy them at an Apple Store due to the return policy if you find they don’t fit well (unless things have changed).

I had the original Airpods and battery life is now not what it was and I have a crack in one of the stems which concerned me. I found them very comfortable except when lying on my side in bed.

I got the Airpods Pro, SQ definitely better and the noise cancellation a useful feature (for example when cleaning vinyl with my Project cleaner or mowing the lawn!)

Oddly however for me the Airpods Pro are a worse fit despite the 3 ‘tips’, and I’d echo earlier comments that comfort is very important.

1 Like

I recommend you audition first if you buy on from Amazon or John Lewis you can, return if you don’t like them I auditioned the Sony’s but the jabras were for me were the best fit, fit is the most important criteria in my opinion.

1 Like

Thanks all,

I went with the Apple AirPod pros. Fit is perfect and sound fine for just getting on at work.
I agree, owning a iPhone XS Max, how it works with it is fantastic and worthy of a small sacrifice in sound quality.

:+1:t2:

3 Likes

It may be too late to sway you but Grado have just announced their first wireless earbuds, the GT220. I not heard them but a lot of people on this forum, including me, like the Grado sound, even if these are not open backed. £250 lines them against AirPod pros and Sony ear buds. Info on the Grado website (wireless series) and What Hifi. AAC is supported, which you will need for use with iPhones.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.