Witch hat phantom vs chord epic twin vs naim nac a5

Being a small company is the least of issues. Many small companies work with group buys these days and deliver across the globe. However, ok, I admit that the way WH have gone about marketing their speaker cables and their blurb around Spectre has not really been all quite to my liking (has in fact put me off from ordering to try them). What also concerns me is that for all I can see, the communication from WH has been pointing specifically to the this forum effectively trying to use it to openly and directly market their cables competing directly with Naim products including targeting Naim users here to support and collaborate with them?
Credit to Naim for hosting this.

2 Likes

I also find it quite refreshing how Naim are so open to the almost promotion of other brands on this forum.

As for WH I don’t mind helping them establish themselves, matter of fact I’m happy too. But I do think that that’s how they should communicate their processes, I thought when I’d placed my first order they’d dispatch it soon only to find out they’d excepted payment then informed of a delay. That’s not really how it should work imo.

2 Likes

I’ve used numerous different brands of cables. I recently upgraded from Audience AU24-SX to Audience FrontRow… Wow!
Is it Price that keeps folks here from trying cables other than Naim, Chord, Kudos and WitchHat?
Why not try Wireworld, AudioQuest, Audience, Siltech, Cardas, Shunyata, Synergistic Research? So many really excellent brands…

1 Like

Guess it’s both price and performance. Having someone working with upgrade leads/cables that’s so familiar with Naim helps and gives some confidence.

1 Like

@Pete_the_painter From my US perspective and only my opinion it seems as though the British market can be rather provincial. My system is fairly international Amp USA, streamer Chinese, Dac’s UK, Speakers UK, Subwoofer UK, Cables US, Power products US. I don’t buy my audio equipment based on country of origin, but on sound quality and can if I afford it. I like to think the audio community is one of the few industries where the BS of world politics hasn’t mucked things up. JMHO

2 Likes

Think it’s very provincial but I’ve gone down the Naim path and won’t be changing that at my age.

2 Likes

@opus and @Pete_the_painter I think most of it is dominated by non-UK makes like Sony, Denon etc. This forum deals only with a small slice of the action away from the main market and is dedicated to and hosted by naim - ie that’s the common denominator. The fact that even in this forum, non-naim and non-UK brands are mentioned gives some insight but if I go to any of my local retailers they do have a broad range from (for example) Italy, the US and of course Japan. Having said that, we do have a vibrant and diverse industry here so we have homegrown choice, it tends to be well supported (fingers crossed) sounds good and some of it is affordable.

Just ordered the new Spectre speaker cables. Yes it has a very long delivery date, but I like how they are upfront with the detailed delivery milestones, and the 25% discount is also very generous.

2 Likes

Oddly enough when I think of hi fi electronics my mind goes straight to the UK. That’s not to say there aren’t excellent manufacturers elsewhere, but the UK is my starting point. It’s probably a hang up from the 70s and 80s.

3 Likes

I have a strong desire to try the Wireworld Gold Eclipse 8 speaker cable but after knowing that a 4m pair costs £9,150 I have lost all interest. My current 4m pair Chord Signature XL only costs £2,400 which appears to be a bargain in comparison.

1 Like

Hmm £858 for 3.5m , I might be better served picking up longer phantoms when you all upgrade!

1 Like

@ryder you could try the Silver Eclipse It’s half the price. Lol

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s any consolation - the Spectre order will be our third WH order. The previous two followed the same path as you are on with the Morgana. They took at least twice as long as expected, there was complete radio silence and after chasing only vague info on delivery dates. When the items arrived though all was forgotten and forgiven - beautifully made with care, sound great and worth the wait. It’s the WH way😀

3 Likes

I have other plans. Currently considering the Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 USB and Silver Electra 7 power cord.

I recently bought a new DAC and found the WW Electra 7 power cord to sound better than the Acrolink cord which costs 15X more(the previous DAC sounds better with the Acrolink cord). For this reason, I am now considering going up to the Silver Electra 7.

As for the Platinum Starlight 8 USB, I wish to try this reference cable and compare it with my current Tellurium Q Ultra Silver USB. This will be my last attempt in trying premium USB cables.

I currently have a Tellurium Q Ultra Black II speaker cable and I’m tempted to try also the Spectre, however his price, wait and import duty that hardly will be refunded if I decide to send the cable back, keep me in hold. Also Kudos KS1 is an option to be tested.

Intresting that most are saying the same thing about comms from WH. This echos my experience. I mist have dome 8 orders now for Morganas, hatpins etc. Its a lottery when it turns up. Try chasing and thats hard too. Great products, just lack lustre service.

2 Likes

I’m hoping that’ll be my experience as well. I do understand they’re a start up and hopefully these minor hiccups will be a thing of the past.

Nicely said. They are real enthusiasts and engineers seriously committed to the audiophile cause.

1 Like

But, if they wish their business and reputation to be a sucess, they will need more than that.

Same here.
Already being a happy Phantom user.
Spectre will be out of my price range anyway, discount or not.

4 Likes