Words or phrases that are like nails down a chalk/blackboard

Relatable.

The incorrect use of the word “ironic” when someone should be using the word “sarcastic”.

They are not the same. They are not interchangeable. Irony is purely a passive scenario, not something you do.

Pluralising ‘Lego’.

They’re not ‘Legos’ (or, Heaven help us, Lego’s), they’re Lego bricks.

Mark

2 Likes

Upcycling
Reimagining.
Preorder
Smashing it out of the park. What is “it” and what are the dimesions of the park?
Reaching out to us
Amazing.
The journey.
Usetwo.
Repurpose.

2 Likes

I’ve only ever heard that on American programmes. I suppose it may be the norm there.

Smashing it out of the park probably comes from baseball. Perhaps one of our American friends can confirm if this is baseball phrase.

On the whole I don’t mind new words that provide a bit more information than any existing word but some are extremely annoying.

If I could politely refer you to my opening post…

…and so we come full circle…

I’m, like, seriously listening to what you’re saying, and I’d basically like to reach out and out touch base on this issue.

1 Like

You lovely man Jim!

Sorry, Neil. It was started a while ago so had forgotten. I was trying to start a discussion rather than argue (that is not my way) but appreciate your request. Edited. Thanks.

No worries, just thought it would be nice to have a thread with unchallenged views and opinions for a change, all in good spirits.
Best regards.

1 Like

I suppose I should have said “soz”. That way I could have killed two birds with one stone :joy:

1 Like

Idyllic pronounced “Idealic”. Often used in travel programmes. It’s from the noun idyll not the adjective ideal, you morons!

The glottal stop

Footballers who wrap their foot round the ball. Seriously?

Siblings
Quality, when used to describe football players skill or lack of.
Lived experience

Bravo Roger!

I conclude you drive a five year old Golf, have a newspaper subscription, both your children are at university, and that you have a preference for natural fibres! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Chris

Now the whole country including peasants, media, thinkers, intelligentsia, but maybe not the Queen say “I was sat there” or " I have ate there". The modern ‘excuse’ for such bad English is that it is ‘a living language’. We are all doomed to dumb down England…Sad…

3 Likes

Hi @Christopher_M

I do not own a Golf.
I do not subscribe to an opinionpaper.
I do not have any children, well none that I know of.
But I do love a natural fibre, especially with fruit.

1 Like