Work for today

Really. No joke. That’s why I’m wide awake and knackered at the same time.

1 Like

Cisco 2960 48port arrived yesterday.
Power on self test completed, but login required.
Trying. To use an old Maccbook as a console failed, possible due to my Jerry approach to cabling. Now waiting for a proper cable. In the meantime there is more music to listen to and coffee to be drunk.

The console port is a serial port (electrically compatible with RS232)
Speed: 9800 baud*
Parity: none
Bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Flow Control : off

Flow Control : Xon/Xoff may also work

*. or slower for 200 series switches, for 300 & 500 series use 115200 baud or slower.

Working from home
morning zoom tasting of the stunning release of Ceretto 2016 Barolo wines - single vineyards and Barbarescco wines - more emails
lunch - now look at new post’s on forum over a sandwich
emails - 4pm Port Intragram with David Guimaraens head winemaker of Taylors,Fonseca & Croft

this evening - running in LP12, photos, dinner

1 Like

Tough job, Xanthe. We have a number of family members sensitive for mental diseases and I always wondered why the most beautiful minds and personalities have the most of these problems - well I could imagine a logical explaination but it does not satisfactory answer the big WHY for me.

Some of them develop it and it seems unavoidable.

Sometimes it can be very tough, but it’s also very rewarding to know that you’ve helped someone to cope with something very distressing that is in no way their own fault. In some cases it can be as powerful as knowing that a person can at least cope for ‘maybe just another day’, simply because you gave them the space to talk openly, to be truly heard, in confidence, with empathy and without judgement.

We don’t do clinical work - our role is support - but we do have some very limited clinical training to help us to understand the difficulties of our clients.

It’s not a job to be enjoyed (some of the situations are quite heart rending - really nice people in awful circumstances) but it is immensely rewarding to know the difference it can make for our clients.

I also have a wonderful set of colleagues with whom I work.

6 Likes

Thanks for your response. Clearly, I’m out of my depth when trying to reset the switch.
Cable arrived (usb to RJ45) but still can’t connect to the switch. I now see that I have a micro usb to usb cable that might also serve as a console connection.

On my Mac, I have used the terminal to move to the dev directory. But ‘ls -ltr /dev/usb does not list the USB ports. It seems it assumes the usb Is a non existent directory.

Also thanks for the link to Pretzellogix - working my way through that now.

The only port I could find was by inspecting the directory (ls) was tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.